Sr. Scientist, Antibody Engineering + Design
Foster City /
Cartography Biosciences is a therapeutics organization creating the first atlas to identify targets that are specific enough to only engage cancerous cells, broad enough to work across cancer cells and patients, and safe enough to sidestep toxic side effects. Founded by Kevin Parker, Howard Chang, and Ansu Satpathy, Cartography is bridging immunology and computation to understand the critical differences between normal and cancerous cells, ultimately solving the challenge of finding the safest, most selective targets for a variety of immunotherapeutic approaches.
Our Immunology team is seeking an experienced and driven Scientist or Sr. Scientist to help build and advance our IO and Cell Therapy capabilities. Reporting to our Head of Antibody Therapeutics, you will be responsible for the development, engineering and characterization of antibodies and biologics targeting novel cancer antigens in support of our discovery pipeline.
Our ideal candidate will have a background in design and evaluation of various aspects of antibody engineering. Experience running cell-based assays to evaluate biological function will also be crucial to succeeding in this role. This position is in a highly collaborative, innovative and rapidly evolving environment and interfaces with multiple teams and functions across the organization.
What You'll Do:
- Identify and validate novel targets for development of various immunotherapy modalities (eg; biologics, ADCs, bispecifics / cell engagers)
- Independently design, develop and execute novel in vitro and ex vivo cell-based assays/models to evaluate the efficacy and specificity of immune cell-engaging biotherapeutics
- Apply your knowledge of T cell activation, infiltration and function to conceive and develop next-generation T cell engagers with improved efficacy and safety profiles
- Design and implement critical studies required to drive hypothesis-driven research
- Collaborate across multiple projects / roles in a matrixed environment
- Anticipate the need for contingencies and demonstrate flexibility through development of alternative strategies
- Present project and strategic framework updates to leadership teams across the company
- Provide supervision of junior scientists and contribute to building the culture of our team
- Maintain cutting edge knowledge of immunology and oncology
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Immuno-oncology, Tumor Immunology, or a related field, with at least 2-4+ years of successful postdoctoral experience as demonstrated by strong publication record, or 4+ years of relevant industry experience or M.S. with a minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience or B.S. with a minimum of 12 years of relevant work experience in relevant fields
- Deep knowledge of T cell biology and activation pathways and relevant in vitro assay systems experience is required. Complementary experience with transformed tumor cells strongly preferred
- Experience with technologies typically employed to assess immune cell function including but not limited to subset of Luminex, MSD, IncuCyte-based assays, multi-parameter flow cytometry, T cell activation assays, T cell proliferation assays, 3-D cell cultures, and imaging technologies
- Demonstration of hypothesis-driven, in-depth, and innovative thinking
- Self-motivated and focused with project management-oriented thinking; able to work on multiple projects in a matrix environment
- Good communication skills for cross-functional, managerial and external interactions; excellent oral presentation skills are critical
- Possess strong organizational skills to ensure thorough and timely documentation of experiments, and preparation of data for compiling reports for both internal and external documents
- Experience with antibody drug discovery and immuno-oncology target identification / validation is ideal
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Cartography Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, open working environment and a diverse workplace. People from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply. Cartography is also committed to providing employees with opportunities for growth and skill acquisition. As a Cartographer, you will be exposed to cutting-edge molecular biology and computational methods development and have opportunities to learn, grow, and diversify your skillset.