Chief Engineer, North Los Angeles Region
The Americana at Brand
The Chief Engineer for The Americana at Brand is a hands-on role, responsible for managing and supervising all in-house engineering personnel at the Americana at Brand. In addition, the Chief Engineer is responsible for the understanding, review, recommendation, and repair of all facilities and equipment within the North Los Angeles Region and shall have the capability to teach such skills to all departments and team members, respectively. The responsibility also includes the development and implementation of monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, and annual maintenance schedules, preventative maintenance programs, fire-life safety programs, and energy management plans. The Chief Engineer must be willing to work and interface with service vendors (HVAC, elevator/escalator, landscaping, housekeeping, pest control, plumbing, electrical, and fire-life safety systems), and provide any labor / operational expertise necessary for any and all center events.
Position requires to be on-call 24/7 for any emergencies.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Recommending additional service contracts as needed; create scope of work, identify qualified vendors, and solicit bids.
- Overseeing work, services, and/or material being supplied to the property by outside contractors and vendors.
- Working with Management in overseeing tenant improvement contractors.
- Attending all property meetings, operations meetings, and participation in the MOD program.
- Developing and implementing regular maintenance schedules for all mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment / systems.
- Performing general troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance for all mechanical equipment (i.e. common area rooftop and HVAC units, etc.).
- Performing general troubleshooting, repair and maintenance for all plumbing fixtures (i.e. public restrooms, residential restrooms, janitorial sinks, landscape irrigation systems, hose bibs, and domestic water pumps, etc.).
- Performing general troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance for all storm water, roof drains, and sewage systems.
- Performing routine repairs and replacements (as necessary) of all tile, brick, and masonry surfaces on the property.
- Routinely repainting all painted surfaces of the property (as necessary).
- Completing work orders for general service/repairs in a timely and efficient manner.
- Overseeing apartment turns to make sure they are consistently completed to Caruso's high standard, within the allotted timeframe.
- Overseeing the elevator / escalator service provider and assist with entrapment calls and minor malfunctions.
- Training facility crews to perform repairs / maintenance functions as appropriate.
- Insuring that all time clocks on the property are properly set.
- Maintaining the proper operation of the lighting control system.
- Maintaining a clean and organized workshop daily.
- Maintaining accurate inventories of supplies and equipment, and re-ordering replacements as required.
- Ensuring that all fire-life safety systems are functioning, maintained, and properly serviced in all buildings.
- Ensuring that all HVAC systems are functioning, maintained, and properly serviced in all buildings.
- Maintaining and controlling the inventory of equipment, supplies, and parts for the property.
- Maintaining proper certifications for the operation of boom lifts, forklifts, scissors lifts, and other equipment as needed.
- Inspecting and repairing all buildings for vandalism as reported by management.
- Reporting any damaged landscape or hardscape items to management.
- Performing periodic property inspections with management and vendors.
- Installing signage as directed by management.
- Overseeing and installing holiday decorations as well as activations.
- Overseeing regular activations through property including Kids Club.
- All other duties and responsibilities as requested by management.
- Approving invoices for services and materials ordered and forwarding them to the Property Managers for approval.
- Being familiar with all Tenants. Meeting with Tenants as needed to resolve problems and foster excellent tenant relations.
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to delegate tasks effectively amongst team-members
- Excellent customer service skills, with the ability to maintain a professional and friendly demeanor at all times.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the area of commercial building, retail center facilities, or construction management.
- The equivalent of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or related trade school.
- Must possess excellent communication skills.
- Must have experience in bidding out and awarding vendor contracts.
- Must have direct supervisory experience.
- Must be well organized.
- Must be computer-literate and able to use programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Ability to speak clear and concise English.
- Regularly standing and lifting or moving items up to 50 pounds.
- Must be mobile to move around the entire property and occasionally travel off the property.
- Must read manuals, safety materials, and operational guides relating to equipment and service contracts.
- Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with management, co-workers, vendors, contractors, tenants and customers.
- Required to sit, stoop, kneel or crouch, climb ladders, and use handle to handle, grasp, feel or reach.
- Able to walk around a job-site.
- Able to climb stairs and be a passenger in a construction lift to reach high levels at a job site.
- Able to stoop and bend, sometimes repetitively.
- Comfortable with heights and confined spaces and able to comfortably work at high levels and small spaces, etc. in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Must be compliant with Caruso Grooming Standards.
- Uniform provided must be worn properly and in accordance to the uniform standards within the policies and procedures of this role.