Senior Property Accountant
Corporate Headquarters /
The Senior Property Accountant is responsible for corporate financial reporting, investment reconciliations, and property accounting. Must demonstrate attention to detail, critical thinking and the ability to communicate effectively with the Accounting and Finance team. The role requires a seasoned individual with a strong understanding of accounting/finance with a commitment to accuracy and meeting multiple, and at times critical competing deadlines.
The Senior Property Accountant must be extremely organized and able to consistently and accurately manage multiple on-going tasks. Requires excellent work ethic and the ability to work both independently and as a team player.
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Property Accounting
- Generate CPI or fixed rent increase letters and rent commencement letters
- Calculate and bill percentage rent
- Enter and maintain tenant data in accounting and budgeting / forecasting systems
- Interface with tenants regarding collections and billing issues
- Review and enter A/R adjustments and miscellaneous invoicing
- CAM Reconciliation: Analyze contributors, CAM pools, gross leasable area, occupancy, and CAM caps and exclusions and apply them into the calculation
- Prepare common area, tax and insurance impounds based on annual budget
- Prepare common area, tax, and insurance year-end reconciliation
- Prepare monthly property net operating income reports and analysis
- Maintain support for property balance sheet and income statement accounts for assigned properties
- Prepare month-end journal entries for assigned companies
- Review general ledger and adjust/explain variances
- Prepare and present monthly financial statements to management
- Develop strong trusting relationship with general managers and property managers to have the property best interest in mind
- Contact with the KPMG auditors for the year-end audit.
- Manage the year-end “Prepared by Client (PBC)” list required for the audit.
- Prepare lead sheets for the year-end audit.
- Work closely across finance team to help drive budget process annually
- Prepare monthly management report
- Allocate G&A expenses and works with department’s head on analysis, budget, and forecast
- Prepare Quarterly debt compliance filings
- Other duties
Corporate Financial Reporting
- 5+ years of accounting experience in a corporate environment
- Real estate and/or public accounting experience extremely favorable
- Working knowledge of GAAP and internal controls
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong spreadsheet (Excel) and word processing (Word) skills
- Ability to see the "big picture," and prioritize competing requests
- Good understanding of fundamental accounting transaction flows including system interfaces
- Familiar with industry systems and platforms such as Yardi, MRI and banking platforms very important
- Bachelor degree in accounting, finance or related field
Caruso is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.