Maintenance Engineer, West Valley Portfolio
The Maintenance Engineers are responsible for all physical operations, maintenance and repairs of the properties in the West Valley portfolio; including preservation and maintenance of the facility in a first-class manner in accordance with policies and procedures defined by the company, maintaining and/or decreasing the operating expenses of the property, providing a quality business environment for tenants and establishing a positive, productive working relationship with the property staff. The Engineers are primarily responsible for satisfactory completion of all service requests at the property.
This position is based in the Calabasas office.
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Responsible for all aspects of maintenance for a commercial retail property.
- Under the direction of the Chief Engineer, the Maintenance Engineers are principally responsible for completing repairs, preventive maintenance tasks, maintaining all property systems in good working order, and routinely inspecting the property, making most efficient use of available resources, and monitoring adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for satisfactory and timely completion of service requests, observation and reporting of potential liability concerns or safety hazards to the Chief Engineer or Operations Manager.
- Responsible for knowledge of general property-specific needs or problems in one or more of the following; plumbing systems, electrical systems, mechanical systems, tile/masonry, and/or painting/patching, etc.
- Responsible with the Chief Engineer or Operations Manager for knowledge of, and participation in, company safety policies and the safety and enforcement of safe work practices with the maintenance staff.
- Maintenance Engineer shall oversee and coordinate safe efficient operation of all building systems including: Hot Water Boilers, Exhaust and Supply fans, Pool Equipment pumps and filtration systems.
- Other duties as assigned
- Responsible for completion of any other tasks or duties which may be assigned as required to facilitate the safe and efficient functioning of the commercial property.
- Must be available (on-call) for emergency duties.
- Must be available as needed on various shifts, weekends, holidays, and overtime.
- Must be able to provide labor and operational expertise necessary for center events.
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License.
- Ability to provide superb customer service skills, while maintaining a professional and friendly demeanor at all time
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Certification from an accredited college or related trade school is preferred. Formal training and/or certificates from related institutes (BOMA, IREM, local community college, vocational program) reflecting completion of maintenance related course or courses and/or two or more years intercompany training/experience is preferred.
- A minimum of 1-year experience in the area of commercial building or retail center facilities, construction, maintenance or other related field is preferred.
- Must be well organized and hard working.
- No direct experience needed although 3-5 years’ experience in general carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, painting or general contracting skills is a plus.
- Must have medium to advanced knowledge of property maintenance.
- Speak, write and comprehend intermediary English.
- Must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility quickly, without error.
- Proficient in one or more areas of commercial building maintenance relating to plumbing, electrical, general repairs, and life safety equipment.
- A strong ability to assimilate maintenance related information (both inferred and explicit) and deduce logical and supportable responses and recommendations.
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to understand and communicate effectively in English
- This position is active and regularly requires standing and lifting or moving items up to 50 pounds. The employee will have to be mobile to move about the entire property and may occasionally travel off the property. The employee must be able to read manuals, safety materials, operational guides to equipment, and service contracts.
- The employee must be able to hear well enough to communicate with management, co-workers, vendors, contractors, tenants and customers. The employee is required to sit, stoop, kneel or crouch, climb ladders, and use hands to handle, grasp, feel or reach.
- The employee must be able to climb a ladder and/or stairs to inspect and maintain roofs and engineering areas of commercial buildings. The employee must be able to read, write, speak, hear, lift heavy objects and drive a car.
Caruso is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, compensation, termination, and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, and local law. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Caruso considers all applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.