The Art Director is responsible for conceptualizing, developing and executing creative campaigns for various properties, seasons, events, projects, etc. in a fast paced and deadline driven environment. The Art Director is both a designer and a manager, able to produce fashionable and original graphic designs while inspiring the team of designers to do the same. Will be directly responsible for daily production of graphic output across a wide range of media for the entire Caruso portfolio of properties. The successful candidate is a true collaborator, keeps up-to-date with innovative creative work across industries, sharing internal and external best practices with the team, inspiring others to push the creative envelope.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Develop creative direction based on established brand strategy and guidelines, business needs, budget and available assets
- Produce strong, relevant and smart graphic art to support the needs of existing retail, residential and office projects, as well as new projects in development
- Ability to design across multiple mediums, with a strong emphasis on digital (websites, online ad banners, etc.), social media and email platforms
- Supervise design team workers engaged in executing layout designs for artwork and copy to be presented by visual communications media
- Review project production factors by studying background information, creative briefs, objectives and business goals
- Responsible for orienting, training, assigning and coaching designers on the creative team
- Select and secure illustrative material by formulating basic layout design concept, conducting research, for presentation to and approval by brand, talking the team through the creative strategy and design
- Produce illustrative material by assigning layout design concept to artists and photographers, directing the development of design concepts into art layouts
- 5+ years of professional experience in graphic design for digital media and print
- 3+ years of experience directing a creative team
- Substantial portfolio of art-directed and self-designed work featuring a modern design aesthetic and evidence of graphical innovation
- Ability to design for a wide variety of media types including digital, print, motion, grand-format, interactive, multi-dimensional, etc.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a creative team to produce quality work according to a fast-paced schedule and high-volume workload
- Strong interpersonal skills that foster a harmonious work environment
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including: Photoshop CS5, Illustrator CS5, InDesign CS5, Dreamweaver CS5. Able to edit marketing materials for web, email and photo/video
- Understanding of print design and production, with the ability to prep files for press
- Bachelor’s degree in design, graphic design or a similar discipline
Caruso is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, compensation, termination, and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, and local law. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Caruso considers all applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.