Director, Architectural Design
The Director of Architectural Design will be responsible for the day to- day oversight of multiple Caruso projects and the inherent design related issues. The role emphasizes focused self-starter skills with a high level of personal integrity and business ethics. Must be able to work effectively in a team environment. The position is accountable for successful coordination with other departments internal to Caruso, outside consultants, contractors and vendors to ensure that projects are completed on-time, within budget and according to Company brand and quality standards.
Candidate should be able to develop and describe designs and design intent, participate or when asked take the lead in assembling the project team and related project documents, be familiar with building codes and building systems, and have a good working knowledge of construction and detailing.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Resolves complex project planning, design and construction issues and disputes
- Prepares or reviews reports on progress, materials used and costs, and adjusts work schedules in accordance with the reports
- Initiate design concepts through all project phases consistent with industry and firm-wide standards for project delivery
- Provide design support for completion and execution of design projects
- Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents
- Participates in selection of FF&E color palettes & material presentations, and generate specifications
- Leverage oneself beyond project-based focus to address greater office and regional issues.
- Continually improve the quality of our work, the manner in which we deliver it and the process we employ to attain it
- Cost Consciousness- Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures, contributes to profits and revenue, and conserves organizational resources
- Understands business implications of decisions and aligns all work product in conjunction with the strategic goals of the organization
- Quality management- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Oversees and maintains relationships with external professionals and consultants
- Manages architect, consultant and vendor performance during construction phase through site visits and report review
- Provides functional direction over areas of responsibility including project schedules, cost control, dispute resolution, contract administration and quality control
- Manages all activities relating to the project and interfaces with the project team, other departments, contractors, consultants and all authorities having jurisdiction
- Proven track record leading the design, planning, and aesthetic direction of a project
- Minimum of 7 years’ of experience in a similar role focusing on luxury retail, hospitality, creative office and/or multi-family
- Scheduling programs and Excel spreadsheets
- Superior project management skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Successful execution on approved design, budget and schedule
- A comprehensive understanding of the coordination aspects and related requirements of all design disciplines
- Ability to show initiative and proactively present and escalate ideas, suggestions and problems to ensure outstanding results
- Strong leadership, communication and relationship-management skills
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Revit and 3-d rendering or visualization tools
- Skilled in conceptual thinking, experiential design and storytelling in space
- Certification or state licensed is a plus
- Expert Knowledge of FF&E, color & materials
- Proficient in Creative Adobe Suite applications
- Ability to manage all aspects of a project after design, schedule and budget have been approved. This may include the oversight of simultaneous complex projects.
- Can-do attitude that embraces change driven by market forces, leasing or ownership
- Enthusiasm and adaptability to responding to project challenges with innovative solutions
- Project experience that spans from conceptual design and planning through construction administration and project closeout.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related design discipline
Caruso is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, compensation, termination, and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, and local law. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Caruso considers all applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.