Chief Financial Officer
Corporate Headquarters /
Reporting to CEO Rick Caruso, the Chief Financial Officer will serve as a key executive team member, trusted CEO advisor, and strategic business partner to support the Company’s financial vision and to ensure successful company operations. The Chief Financial Officer will represent Caruso in the broader business community and will act as a transformation-oriented/operationally-focused executive. The Chief Financial Officer will have a proven track record of success in a highly competitive and complex business environment and industry. They will have a vision on how to enhance the strategic objectives of the company, provide exceptional leadership and mentoring to the existing team, will possess savvy surrounding banking and capital markets, and will contribute in building infrastructure to drive growth. This position requires high energy and a strong work ethic, with outstanding communications and interpersonal skills and a deep knowledge of business, capital markets and finance.
- Provide proactive leadership & management of the finance and accounting organization to drive execution and operational excellence across the function.
- Assist in the continuing development of a high quality finance and accounting department. Further refine overall approach to developing, monitoring, reporting and managing the financial analysis, budget and forecasting processes, variance reports, financial reporting and performance of Caruso entities.
- Member of the Executive Committee.
- Contribute as a member of the senior management team responsible for the financial and operational performance of the Company. Proactively keep the CEO up-to-date on potential financial and operational issues, problems or trends.
- Play a leadership role in the strategic planning process, ensuring financial strategy is in place to deliver on company goals and growth agenda.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization; i.e., capital markets activities, capital strategy, evaluation of potential alliances, and new banking relationships as well as the operational effectiveness of the Company.
- Build and maintain banking relationships and sere as primary liaison with banking institutions.
- Cash flow projections based on existing balances; cash, receivables, accounts payable, LOC, commitments, etc.
- Manage the overall health of the business including planning and managing the cost structure. Ensure financial policies and procedures are consistent company-wide and in accordance with regulatory requirements. Collaborate across the organization to ensure that appropriate financial controls are in place.
- Oversee accounting in the management of the Company’s working capital needs, accounting for various investments, annual audit, cash planning and tax planning.
- Track, manage, prepare, and monitor cash inflows, outflows, investments, insurance, purchases and sales, and receivables and payables.
- Ensure that the appropriate financial and management information systems are in place in order to provide best-in- class financial reporting across all entities within the Company.
- Caruso is seeking a right-handed advisor to the CEO and a truly unique individual – one who has the requisite business, finance, and accounting expertise, but also the collaborative spirit and passion which are very much part of the Company’s culture.
- The individual must be a strategic builder, not just a refiner, someone who is versatile and agile, and a leader who is focused on mentorship and development.
- The individual must be business savvy and value-added, constantly maintaining detail as to the “big picture” perspective relative to long-term objectives as well as current company operations, performance, profitability and goal achievement.
- The CFO must be entrepreneurial and detailed oriented, willing to roll up his/her sleeves and be hands-on whenever necessary.
- He/She should be able to manage multiple projects and flexible enough to take on ad-hoc assignments.
- An undergraduate degree in finance or accounting is required; an MBA, JD, advance degree in finance/or accounting certification (CPA, CMA, CA) is strongly preferred.
- A seasoned business leader and financial executive with a reputation for operating with the highest ethical standards. Immediately credible and respected amongst their peers and the broader financial community. The CFO will have experience in financial management positions with a highly regarded company known for operational excellence including best practice management and financial systems.
- Established relationships with the banking community within and outside of the US, which facilitates a continual flow of information and opportunities. The finalist candidate will possess a superior understanding of capital markets, underwriting and financial analytics, will have existing robust relationships with both domestic and international debt financing sources, and will have strong negotiation and sales skills, demonstrated through a history of successfully closing transactions.
- An individual who has deep working knowledge in strategy fundamentals and the strategy process.
- Intimate knowledge of finance and accounting in areas such as treasury/cash management, partnership accounting, trust accounting and federal income taxes (corporate, partnership, individual and trusts).
- Experience reengineering and improving processes and infrastructure, and identifying and putting long-term, best-in-class solutions into place.
- Exceptionally strong analytic and problem-solving skills. Must be able to sell ideas and programs on the basis of facts and logic.
- Ability to understand markets, clients, and geographical distinctions.
- Strong personal leadership qualities; a track record of recruiting, motivating, and developing “A” talent.
- Able to adapt and be comfortable leading in a dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Good business skills and common sense.
Leadership & Management Behavioral Competencies
- Possesses the ability to grow the business. He/she demonstrates broad financial management, strategic thinking and functional skills; creates competitive and innovative business plans; builds a customer-driven environment; institutionalizes error-free quality processes; and excels at analyzing the risk/ reward trade-off.
- Builds strong partnerships. Relates well to a wide variety of styles and types, both internally and externally; champions diversity; treats differences fairly and equitably; and transcends silos to achieve greater enterprise results.
- Leads and manages people to perform. Recruits, hires, develops and grows “A” talent; gets the most and best out of the team; sets and communicates goals, measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; inspires others to follow his/her lead; commands attention before multiple audiences; provides coaching for today and a compelling picture of the future for each individual.
- Designs effective processes and systems that drive execution. Instills management focus and discipline. Can quickly diagnose and fix work flow problems; sets up systems that effectively manage themselves; develops metrics to track progress; translates strategies into specific goals, tactics, action plans and deliverables.
- Displays courage of one’s convictions and is action-oriented. He/she fearlessly takes on all issues, challenges, and people; comfortably confronts and works through conflict; generates pragmatic, sensible and simple solutions to complex problems; balances data, logic and intuition in decision making; challenges the status quo.
- Sustains intensity and optimism. He/she is skilled at influencing others and getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to execution; voracious learner who is insightful and grows from personal mistakes.
- Drives innovation. Leverages financial acumen to enable the business to perform and create sustainable competitive differentiation; creates nimble business plans and processes; strives for world-class financial operations.
- Embraces and drives change. Learns and adapts well to new plans, programs and priorities; inspires others to change.
- Culture is critical to the Caruso organization, and every member of the Caruso team is expected to be exceptional. Because of their unique talents and commitment, they are trusted to exceed the expectations of Caruso’s guests, tenants and residents.
- The ideal candidate must have a style that is engaging and open, capable of working hard under significant pressure and is seen as additive to the leadership team. In addition, the ideal candidate is/possesses:
- An effective and clear communicator and strategic developer of messages. Demonstrates ability, experience and presence to credibly engage a wide range of stakeholders, including auditors, banking partners and strategic partners.
- Organized in thought, whose work reflects these strong organizational skills. Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities, and the ability to successfully multi-task. Results-oriented with the ability to effectively resolve/manage problems and competing priorities.
- Experience building a sustainable, profitable business while meeting the highest ethical standards.
- Strong interpersonal alliances at all levels both within and outside the firm, and has built solid relationships characterized by mutual respect, openness, and trust. Has established high-performing working cultures, teams and leadership.
- Bandwidth, energy and passion to support a rapidly growing and evolving company.
- A mature and low-to-no ego leader who is also transparent and direct. A self-starter: self-motivated, self-disciplined, self-assured, and performance driven.
- High intellect, with excellent analytical and strategic skills. Excellent business judgment and problem solving skills.
Caruso is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.