Cost Estimator / Project Controls
Must be able to demonstrate an initial career in estimating/cost management and should have previously worked for a private cost management consultant, construction management firm or contractor.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Organizes and manages a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized
- Establish the corporate guidelines for design and construction estimating practices. Ensure such practices result in the most complete estimates possible while ensuring the financial objectives are met
- Inform project executives of cost and schedule risks/constraints for a large program as it evolves through design.
- Provides cost guidance and support to the design team through various approaches and methods. Complete estimating and cost planning through pre-contract design phases through project completion. Assist with change management/evaluation of change orders and/or construction claims for active contract work.
- Lead process in completing comparative cost options i.e. cost alternatives or Value Engineering and reviews to help the design team in selection processes through-out the entire project lifecycle. Ideal candidates will be able to develop detailed cost estimates from conceptual drawings and advanced design documentation alike.
- Lead the process of implementing cost management culture within the office. Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs. Identifies cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts
- Ensure a complete review of plans and drawings, identify items that have been omitted and ensure appropriate accounting for such items in overall estimate package that represents the full scope of the project. Consults with team, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or General contractors; and determining cost effectiveness
- Maintains current information on trends in and changes to existing construction codes in order to ensure complete bids from subcontractors and material suppliers
- Utilizes appropriate software programs to calculate, record and track estimates. Maintains skills at utilizing appropriate software to provide optimal job performance
- Develop and maintain detailed construction planning schedules for new construction and renovation work, as required. These schedules may incorporate several scenarios used to finalize construction sequencing and contracting plans.
- BA/BS and 7+ years of relevant experience or demonstrated equivalency of education/experience
- Must be able to demonstrate an initial career in estimating/cost management and should have previously worked for a private cost management consultant, construction management firm or contractor.
- Intermediate user knowledge and experience of Primavera P6 Scheduling Software
- Under limited supervision, normally receives little instruction on routine work, general instructions on new assignments.
Caruso is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, compensation, termination, and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, and local law. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Caruso considers all applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.