Sous Chef, Hank's
The Sous Chef, Hanks Palisades oversees all aspects of the kitchen operations including; menu planning, fiscal responsibilities in food and labor, ordering food supplies, scheduling, purchasing, hygiene and sanitation, management retention and development of kitchen employees.
- Be able to communicate and understand the predominant language(s) of the restaurant’s trading area.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in kitchen preparation and cooking in a professional kitchen environment.
- Certified in all safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- English language and professional communications, math, and computer skills are required.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (minimum of 12 hours / day).
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Caruso standards outlined in the Service manual.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Oversee and coordinate the planning, organizing, training and leadership necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness and sanitation.
- Monthly review and understanding of P&L and yearly budget objectives.
- Provide leadership to create a culture and work environment based upon respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow and develop their abilities through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment. Successful demonstration of this will be evident by employee satisfaction and retention of those under your supervision.
- Possess a Qualifying Certificate in Food Protection from the local Department of Health that has jurisdiction over the employing property.
- Assume 100% responsibility for the quality of products served.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and bring suggestions for improvement.
- Document all recipes in a standard kitchen format and share with kitchen employees.
- Perform inventory and purchasing responsibilities on a daily and monthly basis.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Continually strive to develop your staff in all areas of managerial and professional development.
- Continually strive to develop your staff in all areas of food education.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs
- Ensure that all products are received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and together with the Human Resources Director administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees and guests.
- Know and comply consistently with kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Assist in creating a dynamic menu that evolves and changes on a regular basis.
- Supervise the kitchen during prep and service periods.
- Schedule labor as required by business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when needed while maintaining labor cost objectives.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by restaurant environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (- 10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours in length.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the restaurant on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. frequently.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other locations of the building on a timely basis.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening & hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.