Private Equity Controller
New York, NY /
Casdin Capital, LLC (“Casdin”) is a New York-based fundamental research investment firm focused on the life sciences and healthcare industry. The firm manages a long short equity fund and makes investments in early stage to late stage private investments. Casdin was launched in 2012 by founder and CIO Eli Casdin and as of October 2020 has approximately $2 billion in assets under management.
At Casdin we start from a position of curiosity, honesty, and passion to gain a deep and thoughtful understanding of opportunities in the life science ecosystem. We commit to finding the highest quality management teams doing the work to create high growth companies. We use data to continually advance our knowledge and we are long term investors. We believe in collaboration and transparency and operate at the forefront of innovation.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Private Equity Controller will oversee and drive the financial activities across our private investment portfolio. The main responsibilities will include Corporate Financial Planning & Advisory, Private Investment Accounting & Analysis, and Investor Relations Reporting. The ideal candidate would thrive in a growth-stage environment, driving product development across the fund in addition to the core responsibilities listed below. Professional experience working in Private Equity and/or Venture Capital is preferred.
- Serve as the firm’s private equity controller, collecting and tracking portfolio company data (e.g. company financials, tax forms).
- Review portfolio company valuations prepared by the research team for reasonableness of methodologies and assumptions.
- Work with the CFO to plan and coordinate the annual financial reporting timelines for the funds with third-party administrator, auditor and tax team
- Business Analysis skills to model and create ad hoc reports to support investment decisions across the private investment landscape.
- Partner with Data Services and Business Operations to streamline and automate reporting initiatives.
- Proactively identify areas of opportunity for revenue generation or cost savings.
- Act as a team lead to junior members of the team, providing feedback and mentorship to the broader Finance team
- Candidates should have a minimum of 8 years of public accounting experience, with demonstrated knowledge of investments and the financial industry, within private equity and/or venture capital
- Bachelor’s Degree & CPA are required.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel especially.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Demonstrated competence in proactively improving efficiencies.
- Strong attention to detail, follows tasks through to completion and has a high sense of urgency.
- Flexible approach to adopting and implementing new systems and processes with a service-oriented mindset.
- Experience with a 3rd party investor allocation system (Eze Investor Accounting, NTAS, Advent Partner, etc.) and 3rd party accounting system (Enfusion, Geneva, etc.) is a nice to have.