Research Associate, Life Sciences
New York, NY
Casdin Capital, LLC (“Casdin”) is a New York-based fundamental research investment firm focused on the life sciences and healthcare industry. The firm manages a long-short equity fund and makes investments in early-stage to late-stage private investments. Casdin was launched in 2012 by founder and CIO Eli Casdin and manages a multi-billion dollar fund.
At Casdin we start from a position of curiosity, honesty, and passion to gain a deep and thoughtful understanding of opportunities in the life science ecosystem. We commit to finding the highest quality management teams doing the work to create high growth companies. We use data to continually advance our knowledge and we are long term investors. We believe in collaboration and transparency and operate at the forefront of innovation.
We are currently seeking a candidate to join our Research team, reporting to the Director of Life Sciences Research. The Research Associate is core to our research team and a role with tremendous opportunity and exposure for the right candidate. In this role you will cover Life science tools, Diagnostics, CDMOs, CROs, Synbio, Healthtech, Payors, & Providers. The focus of the role is to operate from a deep and fundamental understanding of the life sciences ecosystem and to become an expert on our portfolio companies. There will be opportunities to develop new portfolio ideas in the public and private investment space and creatively work on forward-looking initiatives that support our long term thematic perspective.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a passion for investing in the field of Life Science. We are looking for someone that is orientated to the capital markets with strong commercial aptitude as well as showing commitment to the study of science or research in their academic and work experience. We are looking for someone that has a deep curiosity about the business models in the life science space, through an understanding of the technology that underpins the advancement of the field and how that will impact the end markets and future of the space.
- Supporting the ongoing deep fundamental analysis on our public and private portfolio and the universe of potential investments.
- Conducting and overseeing valuation analysis on existing portfolio and new portfolio ideas.
- Converting industry knowledge into understandable investment opinions.
- Overseeing earnings and catalyst reporting.
- Ensuring all inputs into the portfolio management processes and systems are accurate.
- Building strong relationships with portfolio companies and prospective companies.
- Generate ideas and strategies to enhance portfolio returns and manage risk.
- Assess and complete due diligence on private companies to determine private investment opportunities.
- Provide support to the Director of Life Science Research and Research Analysts in executing various transaction types throughout the entire capital lifecycle.
- Follow current events and attend conferences in respective industry groups in order to keep the investment team informed about critical relevant issues to current and prospective investments.
- Build relationships within the industry to connect with the best and brightest talent, and the highest quality executors and to be able to identify the ideas that will succeed.
- Participate in the wider team to generate and support investment thesis development. The work at Casdin is highly collaborative, so the candidate must be prepared to work in a team environment.
- Candidates should have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in the Life Science Research and Investing space with a focus on Life Science Tools, Diagnostics, CDMOs, CROs, Synbio, HealthTech, Payors, & Providers. Knowledge of the Payor/Provider eco-system is preferred.
- Candidates will likely have 2-5 years of experience in sell-side equity research, investment banking or private equity, industry corporate development, or buy-side investing.
- Candidates should have at least a Bachelors Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Science, Biology, or a related area. Masters, MBA or Ph.D. considered.
- Ability to creatively build ideas around business combinations, underappreciated assets, and other ways to create value, seeing opportunities that aren’t obvious to many.
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity, problem-solving skills, and the ability to quantify qualitative insights.
- Advanced proficiency in financial modeling and valuation analysis.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with a desire to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Familiarity with databases and similar platforms for information management.
- Self-starter, a creative thinker, organized, and detail-oriented in a fast-moving and iterative environment.
- An appreciation for and ability to connect with business builders and entrepreneurs.
The minimum and maximum base annual salary for this role is $150,000 to $200,000. Actual base salaries may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience, past performance, education, and other job-related factors. In addition to base salary compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package, and successful candidates are eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus.