Life Sciences Product Specialist
New York, NY /
Casdin Capital, LLC (“Casdin”) is a New York-based fundamental research investment firm focused on the life sciences and healthcare industry. The firm manages a long-short equity fund and invests in early- to late-stage private companies. Casdin was launched in 2012 by founder and CIO Eli Casdin and manages a multi-billion-dollar fund.
At Casdin, we start from a position of curiosity, honesty, and passion to gain a deep and thoughtful understanding of opportunities in the life science ecosystem. We commit to finding the highest quality management teams doing the work to create high growth companies. We use data to continually advance our knowledge and we are long-term investors. We believe in collaboration and transparency and operate at the forefront of innovation.
We are currently seeking a candidate to join our Research team, reporting to the COO. The Life Sciences Product Specialist is a critical bridging function between our research and marketing teams; this role has tremendous opportunity and exposure for the right candidate. In this role, you will cover the full investable universe, Therapeutics, Life science tools, Diagnostics, CDMOs, CROs, Synbio, and Healthtech, Payors & Providers. The focus of the role is to operate from a deep understanding of the life sciences ecosystem and to be able to convey all aspects of the life sciences product to investors, from the highest level, the strategic and thematic perspective, to the view we have in a key company and its valuation outlook. There will be opportunities to work on forward-looking initiatives that support our long-term thematic perspective and partner closely with the research team to understand our unique perspective.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a passion for the field of Life Science. We are looking for someone orientated to the capital markets with a strong commercial aptitude and showing commitment to the study of science or research in their academic and work experience. We are looking for someone with a deep curiosity about drug development and the business models in the life science space, an understanding of the technology that underpins the advancement of the field, and how that will impact the end markets and future of the space. The candidate will also enjoy cultivating the Casdin perspective and sharing it with investors both through writing and conversation. The work at Casdin is highly collaborative, and it is critical that the candidate is prepared to work in a team environment.
- Developing a rigorous understanding and perspective on the Life Sciences Industry, the investing landscape, and the relevant subsectors.
- Developing Thematic Research to support the Casdin research perspective.
- Develop strong working relationships with the internal Research team and the CIO to understand incremental insights around the portfolio companies and how we perceive the opportunity ahead.
- Understand marketing objectives and strategies and contribute innovative ideas to support those efforts.
- Generate insights that drive the creation of content deliverables at the macro, micro, or sector-specific level.
- Participate in dialogue with prospects and investors to express the distilled and relevant Casdin perspective on specific investments, thematic expression, macro context, and outlook.
- Assess ongoing engagement from key investors with an eye to creating forward-looking relevant, and insightful content.
- Follow current events and attend relevant conferences to distill the critical issues.
- Build relationships within the industry to connect with the best and brightest talent, the highest quality executors and to be able to identify the ideas that will succeed.
- Participate in the wider team to generate and support investment thesis development.
- Candidates should have at least 5 years of relevant work experience in the Healthcare/Life sciences space.
- Candidates will likely have 2-5 years of experience in sell-side equity research, investment banking or private equity, industry corporate development, or buy-side investing.
- Candidates should have at least a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Science, Biology, or related area. Masters, MBA, or Ph.D. considered.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- High degree of intellectual curiosity, problem-solving skills, and the ability to quantify qualitative insights.
- Comfortable taking initiative and demonstrating resourcefulness.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a desire to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Self-starter, creative thinker, organized and detail-oriented in a fast-moving and iterative environment.
- An appreciation for and ability to connect with company executives, industry experts and the investor community.
- Attuned to the capital markets and a good instinctive perspective on the company universe.
- Passion to learn, investigate, understand and convey to others in an elegant and effective way.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially PowerPoint and Excel.
- Familiarity with databases and similar platforms for information management.
The minimum and maximum base annual salary for this role is $150,000 to $200,000. Actual base salaries may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience, past performance, education, and other job-related factors. In addition to base salary compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package, and successful candidates are eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus.