Head of People
Remote (United States) /
About the Company
Casetext is a fast-growing legal technology company tackling the $6 billion U.S. legal research market and advancing the cause of justice by empowering all attorneys to provide high-quality, efficient, and affordable representation to their clients. Our award winning research platform helps millions of users access and understand the law every month, and our AI-powered search tools are at the cutting edge of search technology. Casetext is backed by Union Square Ventures, Canvas Ventures, 8VC, Y Combinator and Touchdown Ventures.
About the Role
Casetext is looking for an exceptional Head of People to build out and lead the entire HR function at an exciting inflection point for the company. As our first HR leader, you will work closely with the COO, CEO and leadership team to develop our strategy, programs, and processes across the entire employee experience: recruitment, selection, onboarding, training, development, engagement, performance, compliance, benefits, and retention. We have built a tremendously talented, mission-driven team, and are looking for a People leader to help up-level our fundamentals, foster a high-performance culture, empower our employees to do their best work, embed diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our ecosystem, and define our talent brand to help recruit, develop, and retain top talent while providing a world-class employee experience. This role will be foundational to company’s success and report directly to the COO.
Given the scope of the role, and opportunity for growth as the company grows, the ideal candidate will have both functional expertise in HR and talent development as well as experience operating at a senior level in a high-growth company. This role requires a strategic thinker who is excited to be extremely hands-on in the short term. The ideal candidate excels in a fast-paced, growth environment, in a remote-first organization with distributed teams.
As Head of People you will:
- Develop and implement the company’s people & talent strategy as Casetext scales from 50 to 100+ FTEs and beyond.
- Build out an efficient, inclusive recruiting and selection process to attract, select, onboard, and retain world-class talent.
- Ensure every employee receives onboarding that sets them up for success in their role and at the company.
- Design and deliver talent development programs to support employees’ growth goals, including leadership skills and management development.
- Analyze and leverage data to align the talent development program with defined goals for organizational success.
- Build programs to enhance and reinforce employee engagement and recognize employees for their contributions to the company's success.
- Establish performance review and values-based feedback process that leads to clear feedback and understanding of roles/expectations.
- Shape our compensation and benefits strategy, conducting periodic reviews to ensure continued competitiveness.
- Create and execute a strategy that builds our culture as we scale.
- Be a thought partner to the CEO, COO, Executive Team, and senior leaders to achieve company goals.
- Ensure policies and practices comply with all applicable local and federal laws, and when necessary investigate and direct responses to workplace complaints and/or performance issues.
- Utilize data-driven approaches from other high-growth organizations to apply and create best practice solutions.
- 8+ years of Human Resources experience leading HR and People Ops strategies in high-growth SaaS/tech environments.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state employment laws.
- Success leading and developing high performing teams.
- Demonstrated experience leading strategic DEI initiatives.
- Deep experience in and strategic philosophy around L&D programming.
- Strong business acumen and understanding of core organizational goals.
- Exceptional people/emotional intuition, including demonstrated success managing diverse stakeholders and resolving conflicts proactively and productively.
- Flexibility; you shift nimbly when priorities change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Competitive compensation in equity and salary
- Exciting and meaningful work with an ambitious and passionate team
- You’ll be a leader at a fast-growing start-up, take on a lot of responsibility, and play a substantial role in the future of the company
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance is covered for you, and we cover 50% for spouses and dependents
- 401k plan
- Professional development budget
- Flexible, remote-first work culture
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- We’re a close-knit team of smart, driven people who really enjoy working together
- A benefit unique to this role is the influence to shape our employee benefits strategy! :)
Casetext is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.