Vice President of Finance
Remote (United States) /
About the Company
Casetext is a fast-growing legal technology company tackling the $6 billion U.S. legal research market and advancing the cause of justice by empowering all attorneys to provide high-quality, efficient, and affordable representation to their clients. Our award winning research platform helps millions of users access and understand the law every month, and our AI-powered search tools are at the cutting edge of search technology. Casetext is backed by Union Square Ventures, Canvas Ventures, 8VC, Y Combinator and Touchdown Ventures.
About the Role
Casetext is seeking a Vice President of Finance to drive financial and strategic leadership across our business. You will lead all core finance activities, building operational excellence into how we approach accounting, reporting, financial operations, and financial planning. As a member of our executive team and in partnership with the CEO, COO, and the board, you will inform how we strategically budget for growth as we scale our business and launch new product offerings. You will be responsible for managing the company's cash flow, maintaining compliance with tax and audit requirements, and ensuring that our revenues, vendor bills, and other company expenses are properly invoiced, collected, and reported. This role reports to Casetext’s co-founder and COO.
The ideal candidate is a highly capable and proven strategic thinker with a significant background in finance. You are eager to take on significant responsibility yourself, and build out a high-achieving team and scalable operational processes as the company grows. You have excellent communication skills and know how to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences (the board, our leadership team, the broader company) to build sustainable relationships, manage a team, influence stakeholders, and inspire others. You are data-driven, have strong business judgment, and are excited about navigating a rapid growth, rapidly changing environment.
- Lead all finance and accounting functions at the company including Accounting, FP&A, Tax, and Strategic Planning with a focus on operational excellence
- Design and lead our financial planning processes, including forecasting, budget planning, and financial analyses to aid in decision making
- Manage and monitor Casetext’s key performance metrics and provide the leadership team with insights on related trends
- Oversee the accounting function and serve as a partner to each of our department heads on budgeting
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver, and strategic thinker
- Supervise all audit, due diligence, and internal control processes
- Partner with the CEO and COO on financing strategy, board communications, and corporate development
- 8+ years accounting or finance experience with 2+ years of experience in a finance leadership role, including FP&A experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant field; MBA and/or CPA qualification ideal
- Combination of strong foundational accounting training and SaaS company experience
- An excellent understanding of business metrics and processes in a high-growth SaaS environment
- In-depth knowledge of accounting software, corporate principals, and financial analysis
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Maniacal attention to detail
- Competitive compensation in equity and salary
- Exciting and meaningful work with an ambitious and passionate team
- You’ll be a leader at a fast-growing start-up, take on a lot of responsibility, and play a substantial role in the future of the company
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance is covered for you, and we cover 50% for spouses and dependents
- 401k plan
- Professional development budget
- Flexible, remote-first work culture
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- We’re a close-knit team of smart, driven people who really enjoy working together
Casetext is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.