IT Incident Manager

Durham, UK
Global Information Security – Information Security (EMEA) /
Permanent /
About CEF:

CEF is a global electrical wholesaler, providing electrical products to people in the industry known for its extensive range of products and commitment to customer service. Founded in 1951 in the United Kingdom, it has since expanded to over 1,000 locations across multiple countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, and Europe.

We in IT are delivering value to our business and our customers with the innovative solutions that enable our business to better serve our customers today and in the future. We recognise that technology and data are at the forefront of this. 

Our Global IT team deliver a portfolio of transformative work, expand our digital options, upgrade and future-proof our systems to place us at the forefront of the marketplace. 
To do this, we need talented and creative people across all areas to join us in delivering our evolution to enable our forward-thinking business over the next few years and beyond, and this is where you come in... 

Life as an IT Incident Manager at CEF: 

As an IT Incident Manager at City IT, you will be keeping tabs on how things are going when stuff goes wrong, jumping in when needed to make sure problems get sorted out fast. You’ll be collaborating with others to size up how bad a situation is when there’s an outage, considering how it affects the business and how tricky it is to fix. 

You’ll be keeping everyone in the loop about outages, and you’ll have an eye on the big picture to spot any recurring issues and come up with ways to make things run smoother. We’re looking for someone who can help others get the hang of dealing with incidents and problems better through coaching and mentoring.

When not managing incidents, you will be working with the Head of Service Operations on identifying and implementing improvements to facilitate our maturity and assist in the facilitation of Problem Management activities.

Your Objectives:

    • Monitor the progression of incidents, proactively intervening when appropriate to ensure that incidents are progressed through to closure in a timely manner 
    • Quickly assess the severity of an outage in regard to business impact and technical complexity
    • Able to partner closely with our IT Security team and build strong working relationships
    • Quickly assess if the incident has any Cyber or Information Security connotations, ensuring timely trigger of Information Security processes 
    • Notify, escalate and communicate to our business the existence and status of outages as necessary 
    • Define process improvements, including appropriate education to the wider IT community 
    • Define and hold Post Incident Review sessions to manage any ongoing actions 
    • Perform incident trend analysis to identify potential problems 
    • Develop a strong awareness of the cyber risks to critical services by cultivating strong working partnership for Information Security team 
    • Adopt a coaching and mentoring approach, facilitating the increased adoption and accuracy of use of Incident and Problem Management processes. 

Key Skills and Experience:

    • Customer-centric approach to Incident Management
    • Effective delivery of major IT incidents
    • Experience using application and infrastructure services both in a cloud and a on-premise context 
    • Ability to communicate effectively to different audiences  
    • Understanding of cloud and on-premise environment incident response approaches 
    • Good collaboration ability in a cross-functional team environment 

Interview Process:

    • Screening Call with Talent Acquisition (30 mins) 
    • Microsoft Teams call with our Head of Service Operations (30 mins) 
    • Microsoft Teams call with our Head of Service Operations and our Head of Information Security (60 mins) 


    • Competitive basic salary 
    • Annual IT Bonus scheme 
    • Our teams predominantly work remotely but we have an award-winning IT Headquarters based in Durham where you’ll always receive a warm welcome! 
    • Pension: 3% employee / 3% employer (Total 6%) 
    • Champion Health – a comprehensive physical, mental & financial wellbeing platform, offering bespoke content on all aspects of wellbeing & life 
    • Free use of the state-of-the-art private gym at our IT Headquarters 

This role is hybrid and would involve some travel (usually 2 days per week) to our state-of-the-art IT & Marketing office based in Durham for team collaboration.