Database Administrator

UK Remote / Any Location
Infrastructure & Operations (EMEA) – Database Administration /
Permanent /
Remote
About CEF:

CEF is a global electrical wholesaler, providing electrical products to people in the industry known for its extensive range of products and commitment to customer service. Founded in 1951 in the United Kingdom, it has since expanded to over 1,000 locations across multiple countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, and Europe.

We in IT are delivering value to our business and our customers with the innovative solutions that enable our business to better serve our customers today and in the future. We recognise that technology and data are at the forefront of this. 

Our Global IT team deliver a portfolio of transformative work, expand our digital options, upgrade and future-proof our systems to place us at the forefront of the marketplace. 
 
To do this, we need talented and creative people across all areas to join us in delivering our evolution to enable our forward-thinking business over the next few years and beyond, and this is where you come in... 

Life as a Database Administrator at CEF: 

As a Database Administrator at CityIT ,you will be an essential part of the wider business by being responsible for the performance, integrity and security of our databases. 

You’ll be used to working on legacy relational databases and with technology such as SQL, while also having a keen interest in the potential move to more modern technology which in the longer term will be a potential learning opportunity in this role. 

You’ll be part of our Global IT team that work collaboratively with developers and support staff across the business to deliver best-in-class systems used by the whole organisation.  

Your Objectives:

    • End-to-end support and maintenance of IT processes 
    • Developing and maintaining our database maintenance plans  
    • Monitoring performance of our databases and system resources   
    • Troubleshooting and resolving database performance, connectivity and security issues 
    • Planning and implementing database installations, upgrades, migrations and configuration 
    • Following Change, Problem and Incident Management processes to implement database and interface changes 
    • Proactively monitoring and responding to database and associated alerts on a 24/7 rota 
    • Optimise SQL code as necessary 

Key Skills and Experience:

    • Extensive experience with database technology such as SQL 
    • Experience performing manual tests on Windows based systems in an Agile environment 
    • Excellent attention to detail, able to effectively track, report and resolve quality issues 
    • Understanding of software specification requirements, and the ability to interpret acceptance criteria and derive tests accordingly 
    • Experience testing the integration points between modules, applications and systems    

Interview Process:

    • Screening Call with Talent Acquisition (30 mins) 
    • Microsoft Teams call with our Head of Infrastructure and Operations (30 mins) 
    • Microsoft Teams call with our Head of Infrastructure and Operations and one of our Database Administrators (60 mins) 

Package:

    • Competitive basic salary 
    • Annual IT Bonus scheme 
    • Our teams predominantly work remotely but we have an award-winning IT Headquarters based in Durham where you’ll always receive a warm welcome! 
    • Pension: 3% employee / 3% employer (Total 6%) 
    • Champion Health – a comprehensive physical, mental & financial wellbeing platform, offering bespoke content on all aspects of wellbeing & life 
    • Free use of the state-of-the-art private gym at our IT Headquarters 
Location 
Our Finance IT Team like to get together in the Durham office on occasion. This is optional and the role is predominantly home based however there may be some required travel to the Durham or Kenilworth office for team meetings and other events.