Security Operations & SIEM Specialist

UK Remote / Any Location
Global Information Security – Information Security (EMEA) /
Permanent /
About CEF:

CEF is a global electrical wholesaler, providing electrical products to people in the industry known for its extensive range of products and commitment to customer service. Founded in 1951 in the United Kingdom, it has since expanded to over 1,000 locations across multiple countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, and Europe.

We in IT are delivering value to our business and our customers with the innovative solutions that enable our business to better serve our customers today and in the future. We recognise that technology and data are at the forefront of this. 

Our Global IT team deliver a portfolio of transformative work, expand our digital options, upgrade and future-proof our systems to place us at the forefront of the marketplace. 
To do this, we need talented and creative people across all areas to join us in delivering our evolution to enable our forward-thinking business over the next few years and beyond, and this is where you come in... 

Life as a Security Operations & SIEM Specialist at CEF: 

As a Security Operations and SIEM Specialist at City IT you will be the frontline of protecting CEF from cyber-attacks.  

Being responsible for monitoring network traffic and alerts for security threats you will investigate and respond to events in a timely manner, whilst also supporting and mentoring more junior members of the team.  

You’ll be experienced in SIEM platforms, log management, event correlation and data analysis, which will be instrumental in detecting and investigating potential security threats. You’ll also be able to provide your insight and experience to make recommendations on improvements we can make to our overall security.  

Your Objectives:

    • You’ll look in-depth into security incidents, figuring out the root cause and its potential impact 
    • You’ll get to collaborate closely with other teams to gather requirements and input data from different security tools into our SIEM platform  
    • You’ll also collaborate with external vendors as well as internal teams to ensure things run smoothly with a mindset for continuous improvement  
    • You’llmonitor and implement our SIEM platform and dashboards to improve our threat detection ability 
    •  You’ll create and look after documentation, including system architecture and guidance for the SIEM environment and MDR operations 
    • By staying on top of the latest security threats and industry best practice, you’ll get to provide recommendations for how we can improve our overall security 
    • You’ll also support and mentor our more junior members of the team and help them grow their skills with your guidance and advice 

Key Skills and Experience:

    •  Knowledge and hands on experience using SIEM solutions (Sumo Logic would be an advantage but not essential to apply) 
    • You’ll be experienced in managing incidents from start-to-end and support rapid response procedures 
    • You’ll be able to analyse security logs and events from different sources such as firewalls and endpoint protection security systems 
    • You’ll have a good understanding of security principles, vulnerabilities and attack vectors and their countermeasures 
    • You’ll have familiarity with industry frameworks and standards such as the NIST Framework and CIS Controls          
    • You’ll have good communication skills, and be able to communicate with stakeholders at different levels effectively 

    • If you have relevant cyber security certifications these are a bonus but not essential to apply.

Interview Process:

    • Screening Call with Talent Acquisition (30 mins) 
    • Microsoft Teams call with our Cyber Security Manager and a Senior Security Analyst (60 mins) 
    • Microsoft Teams call with our Heads of Information Security (60 mins) 


    • Competitive basic salary 
    • Annual IT Bonus scheme 
    • Our teams predominantly work remotely but we have an award-winning IT Headquarters based in Durham where you’ll always receive a warm welcome! 
    • Pension: 3% employee / 3% employer (Total 6%) 
    • Champion Health – a comprehensive physical, mental & financial wellbeing platform, offering bespoke content on all aspects of wellbeing & life 
    • Free use of the state-of-the-art private gym at our IT Headquarters 
Our IT Team like to get together in the Durham office on occasion. This is optional and the role is predominantly home based however there may be some required travel to the Durham or Kenilworth office for team meetings and other events.