Field Operations /
Climate change is the defining challenge of our time. In addition to deep and widespread emissions reduction, the IPCC estimates that we need 10 billion tons of negative emissions by mid-century to stave off planetary crisis. This means capturing CO2 from the atmosphere and permanently storing it. Our goal at Cella is to provide a safe and secure way to permanently store CO2 at the scale needed to make a positive impact on the earth’s climate. We do this by accelerating a natural process that transforms carbon dioxide into rock, harnessing the planet’s own powers to combat climate change. We’re creating the world’s most efficient mineralization process, which means lower costs and environmental impacts, enabling us to scale to climate-relevant impact within a decade. Our technology also opens up possibilities for carbon removal in new geological contexts, creating opportunities to grow carbon removal around the world, from Kenya`’s Rift Valley to the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
At Cella we are committed to principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we believe that the only way to achieve our mission is through realizing this commitment in all aspects of our work. As a company guided by science and innovation, we recognize that research shows us that the best ideas result from teams with a range of backgrounds and experiences working together in an environment that allows them to harness the creative power of diversity. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
Cella is looking for a new team member who is driven to contribute to climate recovery and work with us on the continued international growth of Cella. Reservoir engineering plays a vital role in projects carried out by Cella, both during the initial stage and during operations. We are looking for an experienced reservoir engineer, with experience in reservoir modeling and strong communication skills to provide technical expertise on matters of reservoir engineering to the wider technical team as well as different stakeholders. As a first-of-its kind position the selected candidate will be key to Cella’s growth and will have the potential to grow along with the company.
What you will do
● Develop a broad ensemble of static models of subsurface storage reservoir.
● Analyze downhole data and assess reservoir geophysical properties, permeability, injectivity, and hydrologic properties.
● Oversee field data collection, data interpretation, and advise on drilling and well construction.
● Collaborate to develop thermal, hydro, and chemical simulation/flow models of the reservoirs to forecast reservoir response to injection.
● Work closely and support the team’s geologists, geochemists, and system engineers to ensure continuity between the reservoir models and field data, as well as providing recommendations for additional data gathering to aid reservoir management and guide our future development strategy.
● Draft technical reports and present research results at internal project meetings
What we're looking for
● Relevant degree in engineering, geoscience or equivalent qualifications and appropriate professional registration.
● 5 years of experience in reservoir engineering in geothermal or petroleum and natural gas fields.
● Solid knowledge of reservoir engineering tools, in particular well construction and completion, reservoir modeling, geological storage of CO2
● High level of computer literacy and be skilled at using productivity tools such as Office 365 and data science, analysis and analytical tools such as Python
● Prior experience in the energy or CCS sector is preferred, but candidates with academic or other industry backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Why you should join Cella
● Ability to make an impact: There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change and this job gives you the opportunity to make a difference in this fight. As a venture-backed company in an exciting field, we’re charting a course to store over a billion tons of carbon by mid-century. With this first-of-its-kind role you can make a large impact on shaping the direction of this journey.
● Work with a world-class team and partners: we are some of the top experts in carbon mineralization in the world, combined with a track record of delivering impact at scale. We’re working with some of the world’s pioneering companies in the climate tech space, and our early customers include Stripe and Shopify as part of the first tech-based carbon removal project in Africa.
● A competitive salary and generous benefits.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.