Policy and Public Engagement Intern
New York, NY /
Climate change is the defining challenge of our time. In addition to deep and widespread emissions reduction, the IPCC estimates that we need 10 billion tons of negative emissions by mid-century to stave off planetary crisis. This means capturing CO2 from the atmosphere and permanently storing it. Our goal at Cella is to provide a safe and secure way to permanently store CO2 at the scale needed to make a positive impact on the earth’s climate. We do this by accelerating a natural process that transforms carbon dioxide into rock, harnessing the planet’s own powers to combat climate change. We’re creating the world’s most efficient mineralization process, which means lower costs and environmental impacts, enabling us to scale to climate-relevant impact within a decade. Our technology also opens up possibilities for carbon removal in new geological contexts, creating opportunities to grow carbon removal around the world, from Kenya’s Rift Valley to the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
At Cella we are committed to principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and we believe that the only way to achieve our mission is through realizing this commitment in all aspects of our work. As a company guided by science and innovation, we recognize that research shows us that the best ideas result from teams with a range of backgrounds and experiences working together in an environment that allows them to harness the creative power of diversity. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
The Policy and Public Engagement Intern is tasked with keeping the team up-to-date and informed on ongoings in the CDR and CCUS space related to policy, carbon markets, and project permitting. The Intern will deep dive into regulatory requirements for US operations, and help the team strategize on our US deployment.
What you will do
● Weekly briefings to the Cella team on activity in the CDR and CCUS spaces.
● Assist with developing US community and policy engagement strategy.
● Assist with preparing our US operational permitsAssist with navigating landscape of public funding opportunities.
● Strategize on public engagement/public relations.
What we're looking for
● Entrepreneurially minded, self-starter, and ability to learn independently.
● Desire and ability to read about US policy and communicate major take-aways to the team.
● Familiarity with the Inflation Reduction Act and 45Q tax credit and/or strong desire to deep dive.
● General understanding of the EPA UIC Class VI permitting requirements and/or strong desire to deep dive.
Why you should join Cella
● Ability to make an impact: There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change and this job gives you the opportunity to make a difference in this fight. As a venture-backed company in an exciting field, we’re charting a course to store over a billion tons of carbon by mid-century. With this first-of-its-kind role you can make a large impact on shaping the direction of this journey.
● Work with a world-class team and partners: we are some of the top experts in carbon mineralization in the world, combined with a track record of delivering impact at scale. We’re working with some of the world’s pioneering companies in the climate tech space, and our early customers include Stripe and Shopify as part of the first tech-based carbon removal project in Africa.
● A competitive salary and generous benefits.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.