Scientist I, Process Development
South San Francisco, CA /
Operations – Process Development /
Cellares is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Scientist with expertise in cell therapy manufacturing to join the Process Development team. This individual will interface across many parts of the company and contribute significantly to the development of our advanced cell therapy manufacturing platform.
The primary focus of this position is to design and execute experiments that drive the continuous improvement of the Cellares platform. The ideal candidate will be a strong technical contributor and cross-functional collaborator with demonstrated experience developing robust autologous and allogeneic cell therapy processes.
Candidates should also enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment, and be prepared to tackle a broad selection of challenges as the company grows.
- Design and execute complex experiments using scientific principles and statistical approaches (DOE) to support the development of the Cellares platform
- Interface internally and cross-functionally with Analytical Development, MSAT, Quality, Manufacturing, BD, Product, and Engineering to implement new processes and technologies as part of the core technology transfer team
- Author high-quality technical documents, procedures, and reports
- Analyze and present technical results at departmental meetings
- Perform routine laboratory activities including ordering, restocking, and equipment qualification/maintenance
- Gather and review system requirements, develop robust test plans, oversee and support execution of experiments
- Develop training materials for scientific methods and techniques, train and onboard new hires
- Serve as subject matter expert where appropriate for the cell and gene therapy process, provide technical insights and support in troubleshooting and root cause investigations
- BS or MS in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biology, Biochemistry, or related field with 9-15 years of process development experience in the cell and gene therapy field OR
- PhD in relevant fields with 0-5 years of industry experience in the cell and gene therapy field
- Familiarity working on a GMP and/or Clinical Manufacturing setting strongly preferred
- Extensive experience designing scale-up experiments and troubleshooting semi-automated instruments
- Hands-on experience with both autologous and allogeneic cell therapy manufacturing processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to interpret, summarize, and present scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with flow cytometry and cell based assays preferred
- Strong understanding of cell biology and immunology
- Creative, self-motivated, eager to take on a wide variety of tasks and grow with the evolving technology
Annual Salary Range: $90,000 - $210,000
Cellares total compensation package contains competitive base salaries, highly subsidized Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans, 401(k) Matching, Free EV Charging, Onsite lunches, and Stock options. All displayed pay ranges are approximate, negotiable, and location dependent.
This is Cellares
Cellares is creating the future of cell therapy manufacturing. The company is developing an innovative cell therapy manufacturing solution that is robust, cost-effective and scalable so that cell therapies are more affordable and widely available to patients in need. Our multidisciplinary team comes together from diverse backgrounds with a shared passion for accelerating access to life-saving cell therapies. We value integrity, curiosity, the courage to grow and embrace change. At Cellares, you will collaborate with a world class team of engineers, scientists, and business leaders who are as excited about improving the world as you are.
Leveling will be based on overall experience, education, and demonstration of knowledge throughout the interview process.