Senior Scientist, Analytical Development (I,II,III)
South San Francisco, CA
Process Sciences – Analytical Development /
We are seeking an innovative, creative, and detail-oriented Scientist/Senior Scientist to join our team in South San Francisco. This position will work with the Director of Analytical Development to develop flow cytometry-based assays for cell therapy products from various platforms. Our ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual with a passion for improving current manufacturing practices for cell therapies and extensive experience in multi-color flow cytometry assays.
This is a multidisciplinary role & this individual will interface with clients and across many parts of the organization (with scientists, researchers, and engineers) to develop the best solutions possible. The successful candidate will be well versed in analytical development, technology transfer, and training.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment, and be prepared to tackle a broad selection of challenges as the company grows.
- Lead method development, optimization and pre-qualification of flow cytometry protocols for the characterization of cell therapy products
- Provide analytical support in assay transfer to cGMP QC laboratories and from clients to the analytical development team
- Plan and perform multicolor flow cytometry experiments to support product development and optimization
- Analyze and interpret flow cytometry data using software like FCSExpress, FlowJo
- Maintain and troubleshoot flow cytometry instruments
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure effective communication and productive interactions with internal and external stakeholders
- Guide and train associates in the team and serve as the subject matter expert on multicolor flow cytometry
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop core analytical testing capabilities for cell & gene therapy products using flow cytometry techniques
- File data and complete experiment report in a timely manner
- Prepare test plans and analyze/summarize experimental data and present findings at both internal and external meetings
- Responsibility to develop, author, review, and/or approve Standard Operating Procedures, specifications, regulatory filing, or other controlled documents as needed
- Assist with laboratory maintenance (cleaning, equipment maintenance, biohazard waste removal)
- Directly drive user needs and requirements discussions for analytical methods, work closely with internal and external teams to translate user needs into actionable requirements
- Manage reagent and consumables inventory and ordering as needed
- Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biology or related subject with 6-21 years of analytical experience in the cell and gene therapy manufacturing field
- Subject Matter Expert in immune cell phenotyping by multicolor flow cytometry; including flow assay development, optimization, and tech transfer
- Proficiency in data analysis and interpretation using FCSExpress or FlowJo
- Proficiency in the operation and troubleshooting of flow cytometry analyzers (Hands on experience with spectral flow cytometer is a plus)
- Ability to build strong partnerships and effectively integrate with external collaborators to drive projects/programs forward in a matrixed environment
- Experience in writing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and protocol documentation
- Experience with liquid handlers and automation is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to present findings and interact with key stakeholders
- Strong background in cell biology, immunology, and molecular biology
- Strong analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills and the ability to lead as a change agent to promote flexibility, creativity, and accountability
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills with ability to influence and build strong working relationships at all levels within the organization
- Must be able to manage shifting priorities to meet critical deadlines in a fast paced and dynamic, growing environment
- Self-motivated and passionate about advancing the field of cell therapies
- Possess self-awareness, integrity, authenticity, and a growth mindset
Annual Salary Range: $90,000 - $210,000
Cellares total compensation package contains competitive base salaries, highly subsidized Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans, 401(k) Matching, Free EV Charging, Onsite lunches, and Stock options. All displayed pay ranges are approximate, negotiable, and location dependent.
This is Cellares
Cellares is the first Integrated Development and Manufacturing Organization (IDMO) and takes an Industry 4.0 approach to mass manufacturing the living drugs of the 21st century. The company is both developing and operating integrated technologies for cell therapy manufacturing to accelerate access to life-saving cell therapies. The company’s Cell Shuttle integrates all the technologies required for the entire manufacturing process in a flexible and high-throughput platform that delivers true walk-away, end-to-end automation. Cell Shuttles will be deployed in Cellares’ Smart Factories around the world to meet total patient demand for cell therapies at global scale. Partnering with Cellares enables academics, biotechs, and pharma companies to accelerate drug development and scale out manufacturing, lower process failure rates, lower manufacturing costs, and meet global patient demand.
The company is headquartered in South San Francisco, California with its commercial-scale IDMO Smart Factory in Bridgewater, New Jersey. The company is backed by world-class investors and has raised over $355 million in financing.
Leveling will be based on overall experience, education, and demonstration of knowledge throughout the interview process.