Automation Scientist (I,II,III)
South San Francisco, CA
Engineering - Research – Research /
We are seeking an Automation Scientist to contribute to the development, implementation, and optimization of innovative lab automation systems to enable robust and efficient high-quality data generation for high-throughput cell therapy manufacturing QC testing.
This hire will work closely with our Automation Engineering, Analytical Development, and Quality Control teams to capture and manage automated QC method requirements and data quality specifications. This hire will have a strong background in laboratory automation, instrumentation, and data analysis methodologies to implement assay optimization and troubleshooting strategies to streamline the transfer of benchtop assays to fully automated end-to-end workflows. This hire will also work with cross-functional teams to develop and implement assay method validation and verification test plans to ensure our systems meet requirements and quality expectations.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment and be prepared to tackle a broad selection of challenges as the company grows.
- Collaborate in the design and development of fully automated QC methods
- Analyze automation workflows to identify bottlenecks and areas for optimization
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues related to automation systems and instrumentation
- Develop sample and reagent format and storage management strategies
- Coordinate DoEs (Design of Experiments) to optimize assay method parameters
- Coordinate the validation and verification testing of automated methods to ensure precision, accuracy, and reproducibility of results
- Implement quality control measures to maintain the high-quality generation
- Implement troubleshooting methodologies to identify and resolve complex assay method issues
- Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, or a related field and 2-10 years of experience
- Experience with assay method development for high-throughput screening
- Experience with laboratory analytical instruments and automated systems
- Experience with laboratory information systems (LIMS) and data analysis tools
- Familiarity with DoE (Design of Experiments) principles and best practices
- Strong technical writing skills and experience authoring Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), documentation, and training materials
- Familiarity with GMP compliance requirements
- Familiarity with statistical analysis software tools
- Creative, self-motivated, eager to take on a wide variety of tasks and grow with the evolving technology
- Self-awareness, integrity, authenticity, and a growth mindset
Annual Salary Range: $90,000 - $210,000
Cellares total compensation package contains competitive base salaries, highly subsidized Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans, 401(k) Matching, Free EV Charging, Onsite lunches, and Stock options. All displayed pay ranges are approximate, negotiable, and location dependent.
This is Cellares
Cellares is the first Integrated Development and Manufacturing Organization (IDMO) and takes an Industry 4.0 approach to mass manufacturing the living drugs of the 21st century. The company is both developing and operating integrated technologies for cell therapy manufacturing to accelerate access to life-saving cell therapies. The company’s Cell Shuttle integrates all the technologies required for the entire manufacturing process in a flexible and high-throughput platform that delivers true walk-away, end-to-end automation. Cell Shuttles will be deployed in Cellares’ Smart Factories around the world to meet total patient demand for cell therapies at global scale. Partnering with Cellares enables academics, biotechs, and pharma companies to accelerate drug development and scale out manufacturing, lower process failure rates, lower manufacturing costs, and meet global patient demand.
The company is headquartered in South San Francisco, California with its commercial-scale IDMO Smart Factory in Bridgewater, New Jersey. The company is backed by world-class investors and has raised over $355 million in financing.
Leveling will be based on overall experience, education, and demonstration of knowledge throughout the interview process.