Director of Communications
San Francisco Bay Area, CA /
Business & Operations /
At cLabs, the team working on the open source platform Celo, our mission is to build a financial system that creates the conditions for prosperity for all.
Celo aims to remove the barriers for large-scale adoption of cryptocurrencies as means-of-payment. Using a novel address-based encryption algorithm, the Celo protocol makes sending money as easy as sending a text. Additionally, Celo uses stable-value tokens pegged to fiat currencies, like the US Dollar, to minimize volatility. Celo is an open protocol enabling many to participate in the system, even with a budget Android smartphone. The first application launching on the Celo platform, Valora, is a social payments and money transfer app, aimed at developing markets.
As the Head of Communications at cLabs you will develop and implement our overall communications strategy. This will span both external and internal communications programs in line with business and community objectives. This role is designed to tell beautiful stories that balance both the promise and realization of Celo’s mission.
- Conceptualize and execute a communications strategy aligned to objectives around the Celo, cLabs, and Valora brands and content offerings
- Partner with cLabs employees and the broader Celo community to write and edit content for the communications strategy, including: web, email, blog, news releases, and social
- Lead a robust media relations function, with agency support, to effectively position Celo in both industry and mainstream media outlets
- Develop creative and unique press events or activations to influence community behavior and drive results
- Drive internal communications programs that foster knowledge sharing and collaboration and that reflect cLabs’ cultural values
- Consult and advise the team on strategic communication matters
- Track and report on campaign metrics
- Passion for Celo's mission of prosperity for all
- 10+ years of experience using strategic communications and public relations to build a global brand
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate with multiple stakeholders within a rapidly changing industry
- Thoughtfulness and attention to detail with regard to storytelling and the holding of the Celo brand, honoring the quality and uniqueness of Celo’s voice
- Proven experience operating on a global level with an international perspective and sensitivity to cultural nuances
- Effective management of external PR agencies and creating a measurement framework for evaluating performance
- Media relations: proven experience developing and executing media relations programs focused on business, technology, consumer and crypto/blockchain audiences.
Nice to Have Skills/Abilities:
- Work experience in the crypto / blockchain industry, as well as a background in consumer technology
- Deep familiarity with social media and web-based channels as marketing tools
cLabs ("Celo Labs") started Celo in 2017 and is one of many contributors to the open source project Celo. cLabs builds financial technology to enable prosperity of all beings.
cLabs is a Teal organization, a method of decentralized management and organizational governance. Roles are defined around the work, not people, and there is a high degree of autonomy. As such, we're all proud to hold the job title of "Partner." For more information on our culture, we encourage you to check out our blog at https://medium.com/celohq/the-future-is-teal-cc264a5d51d3.
To build technology and products that are used and loved by people and solve real-world problems, we need to build a team with many different perspectives and experiences. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)celo.org. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.