Austin, Texas /
Operations – Facilities /
The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programing and fundraising events, but by hiring motivated, mission driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
This position performs routine manual tasks in maintaining the cleanliness, sanitary conditions, and appearance of the company building as well as performing higher level specialized custodial tasks.
As a Maintenance Custodian, you will
- Clean offices, breakrooms, conference rooms, lobby areas and entryways.
- Clean, sweep, and dust warehouse areas: dry, freezer, coolers, isolation, and product recovery.
- Run floor scrubber on all warehouse floors, including pull locations for product.
- Cleans racks, guard rails, dust electric panels, battery chargers and forklifts.
- Empty and decontaminate trash containers.
- Wash and clean distribution and receiving docks. Cleans under all dock plates.
- Sweep sidewalks, porches and removes debris around outside of building.
- De-Ice areas in the freezer (Freezer Door, floor, etc.)
- De-Web warehouse (ceilings, walls, etc.)
- Perform custodial related duties necessary to maintain cleanliness and sanitary conditions.
- Clean, disinfect, restock and maintain restrooms.
- Perform minor repairs, such as replacing light bulbs and other similar replaceable items. Unclog and repair leaking toilets.
- Perform routine interior and exterior maintenance as scheduled & requested; may include painting, replacing fan belts, electrical, carpentry, replacing filters, mechanical repair, etc.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems and perform immediate repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Perform many varied custodial tasks necessary for the upkeep of buildings and grounds. Picks up trash outside of the building and grounds.
- Serve, as needed on a specialized set-up crew with principal responsibilities for setting up tables, chairs, and other furniture for special meetings, banquets or other occasions.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
You are a great candidate if you have
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited organization recognized by the Council for Education Accreditation (CEA).
- Ability to lift, push, or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with food bank staff, volunteers, agency personnel, and visitors to food bank property.
- Ability to represent the Food Bank in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some weekends.
- Ability to operate a floor scrubber
- Use of small industrial/electrical/mechanical equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Good judgment and discretion.
- Reliability with willingness to learn and acquire new skills.
- The ability to work independently, take initiative, participate as an effective team member and follow tasks through to completion and highly motivated.
Bonus points if you have
- The ability to drive a forklift, scissor lift and operate warehouse equipment.
- Diagnosing machinery and equipment malfunctions using mechanical acumen
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, repetitively lift and carry up to 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate portable radios (i.e. walkie talkie), rider floor scrubber and scissor lift.
Conditions may include working in inclement weather, subzero freezer and cooler, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours.
Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, Warehouse equipment and telephone.