Culinary Training Coordinator
Austin, Texas /
Operations – Kitchen /
The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programing and fundraising events, but by hiring motivated, mission driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a dynamic Culinary Training Coordinator in our Kitchen Department. This position will be responsible for coordinating, planning and execution of all activities involved in providing culinary training to enrolled students as well as occasional staff training. Reporting to the Kitchen Manager on the Kitchen team, this position is a highly visible position internally and externally and will require
polished verbal and written communication, the ability to speak in public and conduct effective demonstrations and learning activities, and do the physical work required in a kitchen.
As a Culinary Training Coordinator, you will
- Supervise and coordinate culinary training activities including ongoing development of lesson plans and assessment materials; provide weekly lectures, demonstrations, hands-on activities and periodic testing and assessment of students, and occasional field trips
- Plan and implement recruiting activities to maintain full classes of students
- Establish competencies and standards for each lesson plan and assessment methods
- Provide equipment orientation and ongoing training to students to assure a safe environment for staff, students, culinary externs and volunteers
- Plan and implement recruiting activities to maintain full classes
- Evaluate and interview student applicants, supervise daily activities providing constructive feedback and disciplinary actions when necessary, and plan and execute graduations ceremonies
- Ensure HACCP and other food and physical safety standards are maintained by students; this will include providing food safety training and testing to students
- Adhere to all Central Texas Food Bank policies, food safety standards and HACCP plans.
- Maintain student program files, computer and hard copy in a confidential manner; maintain temperature, production, receiving, trash and cleaning and sanitation logs as required
You are a great candidate if you have
- Have a minimum of 3 years of experience in the culinary field or have been a chef instructor or trainer for culinary/kitchen staff
- Have formal culinary training (strongly preferred) and the ability to verbalize and demonstrate mastery of technical culinary skills
- Food Manager’s Certification required, (NRAEF ServSafe or Austin/Travis County recognized program)
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to effective public speaking
- Ability to work effectively with food bank staff, volunteers and vendors with a commitment and desire to go the extra mile to make the Food Bank kitchen program a success.
- Possession of a current Texas driver’s license with the minimum required liability insurance per Food Bank Policy
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Bonus points for
- Have competed in culinary competitions
- Member of culinary professional groups with active involvement
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, lift and carry under 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
Conditions may include working inside, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours, and traveling by car, van, bus, and airplane.
Kitchen equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include 6-burner stove, griddle, grill, fryer, steam-jacketed kettles of varying sizes, Combi ovens, blast chillers, tilt skillets, meat slicer, bread slicer, stand mixers, dish machine and general smallwares. Additional items may be added as need arises. Office equipment includes computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile.