Cerebrae is building an actuarial SaaS platform. Actuaries work with insurance companies to estimate risk. We specialize in healthcare insurance. Our customers are payers, providers, and carriers. These parties want to know what should a health plan cost? Unlike a smartphone which is produced and sold at a consistent price, the cost of healthcare is highly variable depending on the population that is being served.
We are investing in technologies to standardize and automate actuarial analysis. Starting with the data, we have acquired benchmark healthcare data for all of the US going back many years. We also integrate customer data feeds including employee census and medical claims. We take all this data, clean it up, and standardize it to a consistent format that our actuaries can work with. Our reports can be generated automatically in seconds. We deliver the results in a modern web portal that is backed by real-time data, and secured with best in class encryption.
Successful candidates should have a strong data background as we are a very data-centric company. Data modeling and SQL skills are assets. This is primarily a back-end engineering role, but you may be required to do some frontend development. Responsibilities include data schema design, implementing and maintaining APIs, distributed systems architecture. You will be expected to own a modern web stack.
This is a permanently remote, full-time job. Candidates must be located in the US, and have work authorization. We have built a highly functional distributed team. Meetings are held in Pacific time, but your work hours are up to you.
What You'll Do
- Write well designed, testable, efficient, and secure code.
- Architect and implement backend APIs in a microservice environment; optionally work full-stack and develop frontend interfaces utilizing these APIs.
- Collaborate with engineering and actuarial colleagues to conduct code reviews and design the implementation of complex software systems.
- Build on and extend our engineering capabilities. Whether it’s improving build toolchains, advancing our observability story, or enhancing testing strategies, all engineers are encouraged to take responsibility for the developer experience.
- Experience in data modeling and developing with both SQL (Relational) and NoSQL technologies.
- Fluency in contemporary software engineering tools (such as git and docker), build pipelines, software development methodology and release processes.
- Experience working in environments with strong security and compliance requirements.
- BS degree in Computer Science / Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years professional experience working in a backend Software Engineer / Data Engineer / Developer position.
Cerebrae is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cerebrae does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.