Senior Mechanical Engineer - Magnets
SPARC Team – Tokamak Systems /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As a Mechanical Engineer for the SPARC magnet systems, you will play a key role in achieving the delivery of all magnet components by keeping the production, assembly and installation moving along when first encounters happen, by promptly reacting to field discoveries and addressing changes these might drive. You will also develop design and analysis notes, technical specifications, and assembly procedures.
This team member will:
- Promptly react to first encounters in the manufacturing, assembling, installing and commissioning
- Perform hand calculations and if necessary perform or specify more exhaustive calculations to validate design adjustments
- Instigate reviews with stakeholders of proposed modification, promote implementation in CAD and technical documentation of accepted modification
- Collaborate with external teams by developing and releasing complicated design documentation (for example P&IDs) and by initiating and closing out change requests
- Identify enabling technologies in the modeling and construction of high-temperature superconducting magnets
- Developing and executing benchtop tests of prototypes at CFS facilities and external vendors
- Provide technical support to procurement during manufacturing
- Develop assembly and commissioning documentation
- Support the development of the tooling for assembly
- Prepare reports and presentations as requested
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, or another relevant field
- At least five years experience working in a cutting edge technology field at the R&D stage
- Experience handling non conformities during manufacture and installation of complex components
- Solid background in component design and analyses
- Demonstrated record of design of mechanical components used in analytical instrumentation, robotics, process control or aerospace systems
- Experience with rapid prototyping and failure testing used to debug and improve designs
- Familiarity with all steps in the design process with an emphasis on creativity and simplicity
- Be self-motivated and exhibit excellent problem-solving skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with CAD software (NX preferred) and analysis software (ANSYS Workbench preferred)
- Bias toward design for manufacture and experience working with vendors and fabricators to reduce cost and lead time
- Hands-on experience developing hardware
- Perform activities such as sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.