Cambridge, MA /
Operations Team – Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is seeking a highly motivated Quality Engineer to develop required process controls and quality plans for HTS magnet production and SPARC assemblies. You will collaborate with a highly talented cross functional team of manufacturing, design, and operations engineers to set-up a high-quality manufacturing line.
The successful candidate will be a proficient user of Six Sigma methodologies to reduce manufacturing variability and statistical analysis methods for process control, as well as a leader of initiatives that proactively reduce Quality risk in manufacturing.
This team member will:
- Facilitate the creation and successful execution of PFMEAs (process failure mode and effects analysis), Control Plans, and Quality Plans for manufacturing of several sub-systems that integrate into the SPARC device
- Conduct layered process audits and evaluate & modify control plans as necessary
- Support ISO 9001:2015 implementation in manufacturing through training and audits
- Collect manufacturing data and conduct statistical analysis using control charts, process capability studies, and Measurement System Analysis. Quickly escalate important insights to the team
- Support creation of detailed manufacturing instructions to document quality critical characteristics
- Promptly escalate manufacturing nonconformances and conduct 8D Root Cause Analysis and implement Corrective Actions
- Publish Daily, Weekly and Monthly Quality KPI (key performance indicators) Board
- Control quarantined product in MRB (material review board) and ensure dispositions are carried out as planned
- Develop in-process inspection and test procedures as required
- Provide oversight on high priority Quality Inspections
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BS in engineering or material science
- Minimum 5 years of Quality Engineering experience in manufacturing environment
- Minimum 2 years of experience in high-precision machining of metals
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer (preferred)
- Experience with Welding Procedure Qualifications and Weld Inspections (preferred)
- Experience with assembly of large metallic components (preferred)
- Experience with CMM or Romer Arm (preferred)
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- ISO 9001-2015
- Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Process Capability Analysis, PFMEA, Measurement System Analysis (MSA)
- Knowledge of NDE (non-destructive evaluation) methods including dye penetrant, ultrasonic, computerized tomography, and x-ray
- Minitab or JMP, MS Excel (including VBA), MS Visio
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Withstand exposure to cold, noise, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call or long hours
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.