Milpitas, CA /
R&D Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
A new class of high-field superconducting magnets will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To support this development effort we are designing and building cutting-edge hardware and developing new designs and manufacturing
techniques. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add a Manufacturing Engineer to our growing team in Milpitas, CA.
The CFS Manufacturing Engineer will report to the Head of Superconductor R&D and will be responsible for partnering with design engineers and vendors on new hardware development to identify the manufacturing processes, inspection techniques, and process controls required to build everything from first articles to production parts.
This team member will:
- Collaborate with design engineers and analysts on early-stage hardware development with a focus on manufacturability, process capability, design scalability, and total cost
- Review engineering drawings to ensure drawing definition is optimized for manufacturability
- Lead the planning and execution of large metallic manufacturing projects, including vendor identification, selection, and management, resulting in high-quality deliveries under tight schedules and fixed budgets
- Work with design engineers, procurement specialists, and external vendors to ensure requirement flowdowns result in the appropriate selection of manufacturing processes, tooling, and inspection techniques
- Review welding and non-destructive test processes and certification plans
- Efficiently resolve discrepancies/non-conformances (internal and external), drive to root cause, and implement corrective actions to eliminate the potential for recurrence
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering field is required
- 5+ years' experience as a manufacturing engineer working with metallic structures
- Experience with large metallic structures and manufacturing processes related to machining, welding, brazing, casting, grinding, and non-destructive test methods
- Experience with superalloys
- Experience transitioning products from R&D to production
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver manufactured hardware within specified timelines and budgets
- Experience with the application of Lean and/or Six Sigma methodologies
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in CAD is preferred (SolidWorks is a plus)
- Formal GD&T training or certification is preferred
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.