Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This individual will be responsible for manufacturing process development for magnet components and assemblies to grow the production line from development to full scale production. They are responsible for developing and qualifying manufacturing techniques both in house and at external machine shops and vendors. Their areas of focus are hardware process development, work instruction authoring, nonconformance resolution, and capacity modeling.
This team member will:
- Own process development of the manufacturing line for HTS magnets from initial low-volume R&D to full-scale production
- Develop and qualify manufacturing techniques, processes, flow maps, and work instructions for superconducting magnet components and assemblies
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Work with external vendors and suppliers to support hardware delivery per production schedules
- Establish and execute plans for future factory expansion, including capital equipment and floor layouts
- Implement DFM (design for manufacturability) and PFMEA (process failure mode and effects analysis) methodology and statistical process controls to set up a reliable, low defect manufacturing line
- Influence make vs. buy decisions and work with external vendors to augment internal capabilities
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field
- 3+ years' experience as a manufacturing engineer on complex electro-mechanical systems
- Experience taking products from R&D into production, including developing manufacturing techniques to transition from manual to automated processes
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver manufactured hardware within specified timelines and budgets
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with magnets, thermo-mechanical assemblies, machining, welding, and/or vacuum systems
- Experience with the application of Lean and/or Six Sigma methodologies
- Experience writing and developing equipment specifications and maintenance plan
- Experience with CAD software
- Proficiency in work instruction writing, material planning, process mapping, and capacity modeling
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings, incl. GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting/ problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, stooping, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.