Head of Movement Building
Cambridge, MA /
Business Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The Head of Movement Building will be an outstanding manager of a multi-faceted storytelling effort. As we continue to grow the company and create a new industry, we are building a small but incredible team of people to build the fusion movement. Now, we're ready to hire the leader of that team to come up with a plan to systematically convert an entire landscape of stakeholders into enthusiastic supporters of this credible solution to climate change. We have already begun laying groundwork for the fusion energy ecosystem / movement, including establishing the Fusion Industry Association, and groundbreaking public-private partnerships with the Department of Energy and other key entities.
This is a C-Suite role for an expert in movement-building who understands the big picture, crafts the strategy, and manages a talented team of specialists to make it happen. You are the ideal candidate if you passionately care about climate change, are able to skillfully communicate to a wide range of audiences, consistently create opportunities when others don't see them, are fluent in strategic communications, brand marketing, and community organizing, and have a demonstrated track record for building movements of well-informed and enthusiastic supporters.
This team member will:
- Report and work directly with the Chief Executive Officer, as a member of the Executive Team
- Lead teams of specialists in partnerships, policy, regulation, public affairs, communications, investor relations, branding, design, open innovation, etc.
- Create and execute strategies to systematically convert an entire landscape of stakeholders into enthusiastic supporters of fusion energy
- Work closely with the full leadership team to craft narrative and direct overall communication strategy
- Manage CFS brand and reputation
- Leverage outreach opportunities, including speaking engagements, conferences, etc.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- A demonstrated track record of building movements of well-informed and enthusiastic followers
- 10+ years of management experience, with strong leadership skills and the ability to build and manage high-functioning teams in entrepreneurial environments
- A deep understanding of energy, climate science, and clean technology, and a strong ability to communicate complicated scientific topics to a broad range of audiences
- A solid understanding of public policy and government relations to drive policy decisions that will support the development of commercial fusion energy
- A strong network of relationships among relevant influencers and stakeholders
- Strategic communications expertise and the ability to create frameworks and action plans to execute those strategies
- Personal values that complement company values
- Strong aesthetic intelligence and the ability to manage and support our branding and design team
- An opportunity-seeking and collaborative mindset
- Degree(s) in science, communications, and policy are all plusses, but not strict requirements
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.