Backend Software Engineer
SPARC Team – Software /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC Software team is seeking an experienced and motivated backend software engineer to become a member of the Data and Operations Software group. The team is responsible for the company’s data services and as a backend software engineer you will play a crucial role in developing the APIs and distributed systems that facilitate data acquisition, access, and processing capabilities within the company. You will work closely with physicists and other software engineers to create robust and high performance data systems tailored to the unique needs of our groundbreaking work in the field of fusion energy.
This team member will:
- Develop the distributed systems and services that provide data acquisition, access, and processing capabilities within the company
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient code in Golang
- Collaborate with physicists, diagnosticians, and other engineers to gather user stories and translate the resulting requirements into code
- Optimize backend performance to improve data ingestion, retrieval, and processing times
- Help make fusion energy a reality by making it possible to collect, retrieve, and analyze data from simulations and experiments.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Engineering degree in a related field such as computer science, computer engineering, etc. and a minimum of 5 years of experience
- Proven experience as a backend software engineer working on distributed systems and REST APIs
- Proficiency in Golang, or a similar programming language that lends itself to backend development of web services and distributed systems
- Familiarity with Linux and development tools such as Git, GitHub, and Docker
- Knowledge of UI/UX design principles and best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative, and innovative environment
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience in developing software for mission-critical applications
- Experience with data processing
- A passion for clean energy and sustainability
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.