Devens, MA /
SPARC Team – Commissioning /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC tokamak facility contains industrial systems that provide the tokamak with electrical power, RF heating, cryogenic cooling, fusion fuels, and other utilities. Each of these complex plant systems must be integrated with the control system hardware/software, commissioned individually, and then integrated with the SPARC tokamak in a process similar to commissioning a new power plant or a process heavy industrial facility.
We are hiring a motivated and seasoned commissioning manager to join the SPARC Integration Team. CFS seeks a high performing individual with extensive experience with process heavy and one-of-a-kind projects, to support the commissioning of SPARC and its supporting process utilities. This individual will be embracing the team’s vision of efficient and successful handover of complete systems to operations team, while maximizing safety and reliability of the equipment operation.
This team member will:
- Support developing and execution of an effective commissioning strategy for successful and safe startup of vacuum and cryogenic systems, completion of assembly and all the critical steps leading to first plasma
- Manage and heavily contribute in development of an efficient commissioning plan for plant systems with focus on having them ready in-time for SPARC systems commissioning
- Manage and heavily contribute in development of an efficient commissioning plan for SPARC systems with focus on safely achieving first vacuum within expected timeframe
- Develop and supervise a highly effective team of field commissioning agents, field engineers and completion coordinators
- In close collaboration with technical teams and project management office develop a highly efficient and effective commissioning schedule with great focus on optimizing the cost and minimizing rework
- In collaboration with technical teams and commissioning technical leads manage defining success criteria through a set of well-defined and clear completion procedures and checklists, with support from vendors and system engineering team
- In collaboration with system engineering team manage the commissioning coordinator team in developing detailed completion procedures, checklists, test plans, and other required acceptance documentation for successful handover
- Plan and execute clearly defined handover processes, defining roles and responsibilities boundaries in system turnover
- Managing the development of the system completion tracking and documentation database
- Heavily support commissioning technical leads and system engineering teams in development of the sequence of operation and standard operating methods for various systems, for startup and operation
- Define and utilize most cost efficient and effective commissioning resource management strategies
- Manage field commissioning team in capturing quality and performance issues identified during verification and validation processes
- Develop and manage a highly effective punch list and closeout processes, supporting clean handover
- Facilitate and embrace the management of change (MOC) in commissioning process
- Progress reporting on the status of system completion progress
- Working closely and collaborating with procurement teams and vendors, construction teams, vendor commissioning teams, CFS system engineering team, technical teams and system owners, PMO team, and Tokomak operations team in scheduling, planning and execution of SPARC integrated commissioning
- Embracing a safe work environment
- Managing a team of commissioning agents, field engineers, contract employees, and commissioning and completion coordinators
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- B.S. in engineering or construction management, or similar field; or equivalent experience
- 8+ years experience in commissioning activities for process heavy industrial facilities
- Working knowledge of MEP, integrated control systems commissioning and startup processes for heavy industrial facilities
- Extensive experience with system completion management tools
- Deep understanding of systems acceptance criteria for commissioning
- Knowledge of EPC systems in engineering design, document management, construction management and completions
- Experience in fast-pace projects and dynamic environment
- Experienced in a functional-matrix organization
- Problem solving skillsAbility to bring teams together to achieve project targets and goals
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and ability to communicate effectively and clearly
- Ability to decompose high-level information into practical detailsProgress reporting and executive level presentation
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Industry recognized commissioning certification
- Experience with system completion tool Cx-Alloy
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.