Somerville, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Controls Engineer will develop and build manufacturing tooling, machinery, and equipment for high-temperature superconducting magnets. They will own creation of controls equipment for from initial conceptual development to fabrication/procurement of equipment to commissioning line for production. They are responsible for developing specifications, producing/procuring, programming, and troubleshooting controls equipment.
This team member will:
- Commission, maintain, and improve complex control systems for the manufacturing and testing of HTS magnets
- Work closely with electrical and mechanical engineers in designing new manufacturing methods to scale production
- Create, evaluate, and update electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic schematics and P&IDs (piping and instrumentation diagrams)
- Work with external vendors and job shops to deliver hardware that meets design specifications
- Design test rigs and systems to measure and ensure quality control
- Commission VFDs (variable frequency drives), servo amplifiers, RFID readers, barcode markers and readers
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering field is required
- 3+ years' experience as a controls engineer on complex mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of assembly-level thermal/mechanical design considerations is a plus
- Expertise with CAD modeling and drafting. NX & Teamcenter experience is a plus
- Experience with enclosure design. Experience with rotating machinery, cable winding, soldering, and/or pipe bending preferred
- Experience working with job shops and external vendors
- Ability to program and troubleshoot automation controllers in all IEC 61131-3 designated languages strongly desired
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience in Beckhoff, Siemens controls platforms
- Experience in Ignition SCADA systems
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- A value for design for manufacturability, serviceability, and simplicity over complexity
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, stooping, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Working with appropriate PPE in the presence of hazards such an exposure to heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.