Facilities and Maintenance Manager
Milpitas, CA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Facilities & Construction /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Facilities and Maintenance Manager will be responsible for overseeing the selection, installation, and maintenance of facilities equipment. This person will also oversee building construction projects.
This team member will:
- Execute basic equipment maintenance and oversee subcontracting of more extensive maintenance.
- Qualify and select contractors for maintenance and construction.
- Oversee construction projects.
- Monitor utility usage and interface with building owner.
- Provide maintenance support for projects such as the installation, relocation, or modification of manufacturing equipment.
- Work with EH&S to keep occupancy permits up to date.
- Develop maintenance procedures and schedules.
- Work with R&D personnel to schedule and execute preventive maintenance and repair activities.
- Utilize a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) for tracking the maintenance and repair of equipment and facilities systems.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Advanced technical training/certification in mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, or similar disciplines
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in the selection, installation, and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and plumbing of facilities tools and the plant systems required to support them.
- Experience implementing computer based preventative maintenance programs including SPC and predictive maintenance.
- Experience managing construction projects
- Experience developing detailed budgets and schedules for construction and equipment installation projects
- Experience working with external contractors and the local government to obtain permits and approvals for installations and signoffs
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering
- Experience with lean manufacturing, 5S and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) principles.
- Experience with facilities maintenance and knowledge of applicable NADA, NFPA, NEC, etc. standards and codes.
- Demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical and electrical drawings, manuals, and reports.
- Proficiency with MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to take directions from supervisors and work independently
- Desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment with daily changes
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- Ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish, including assembly and testing
- Experience with safe ladder work and independent work on the roof.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, fumes, noise, and strong magnets
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
$80,000 - $120,000 a year
Salary range for this full-time position + equity + benefits. The actual salary will depend on level, location, qualifications, and experience. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.