Control System Integration Engineer
Devens, MA /
SPARC Team – Instrumentation and Controls /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS seeks a high performing engineer to lead control system design for SPARC. You will work as the responsible engineer for systems controlling high power RF plants, superconducting magnets, tritium fueling and processing systems, cryogenic plants, and other novel systems that run the SPARC tokamak.
Your responsibilities will include control system architecture, rack/cabinet design, cabling design, integration, test, and operation of your equipment. You will work closely with the software team, operations team, physicists, and responsible engineers for other SPARC systems. This is a dynamic role that prioritizes speed, ownership, and technical integrity.
This team member will:
- Act as the responsible engineer for SPARC control systems
- Architect, design, build, integrate, test, and deliver control systems for the SPARC tokamak
- Detailed hardware designs for control system racks, cabling, printed circuit boards, and other control system hardware
- Hands-on electrical integration and test
- Troubleshooting, root cause, and rework/repair of issues encountered during integration
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering or science field (e.g., software, electrical, mechanical, etc.)
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Altium or similar electrical board design tools
- NX or similar mechanical design tools
- Experience with wire harness design and build
- Integration of ships, ships, submarines, aircraft, spacecraft, power plants, chemical plants, or industrial plant facilities
- High power electronics and RF, heating, cryogenics, or fluids systems
- System architecture, design, trade studies
- Hands-on proficiency with power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, and other lab electrical equipment
- Scripting or engineering software development for test applications and data review – Python, Matlab, or equivalent
- Experience in a demanding yet exhilarating work environment
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, and strong magnets
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.