Director of Facilities and Construction
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is hiring an ambitious, energetic, and organized Director of Facilities and Construction to organize and drive the creation of our new company headquarters, which will be a world-leading center for fusion energy, magnets, and superconductivity. This experienced team member will lead all aspects of facilities and construction. This person will oversee the strategic planning, design, construction, and facilities management for the new CFS corporate campus. This includes the construction of CFS headquarters, manufacturing facilities, and other highly technical buildings. This role will also lead the facilities team and oversee all aspects of facilities, ground operations, and maintenance.
- Accountable for the on-time delivery of CFS's new campus
- Oversee several hundred million dollar budget process for a multi-building site and 5 year project timeline
- Manage all logistics for the pre-construction and construction process
- Anticipate and execute all permits and inspections
- Lead the company's internal site planning team, including the process to construct the fusion energy demonstration facility, manufacturing facility, and company headquarters
- Manage the general contractor and the other contractors relevant to the construction process
- Serve as the internal point person overseeing the many moving parts of the phased construction process
- Identify critical unknowns and work quickly to resolve them, anticipate upcoming challenges, and propose creative solutions to challenges as they arise
- Proven track record at delivering complex scientific and manufacturing facilities and corporate campuses
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 15 years of combined experience in facilities management, building operations, construction management, and/or real estate project management experience
- Experience leading and organizing multi-person, cross-functional teams
- Ability to negotiate contract terms with vendors
- Experience developing, managing, and delivering within budgets
- Experience working in technical industries and overseeing large scale manufacturing facilities
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.