Head of Project Management
Cambridge, MA /
Operations – Operations /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
While SPARC is the current major project CFS is undertaking, and likely to be the major focus of the successful candidate for 2-3 years, the company is seeking a leader to define and build a recognized world leader in structuring and executing extremely complex and innovative projects successfully, including a broad range of project management capabilities across the company, including:
• Defining the standards for project management excellence in the company, including metrics, tools and processes;
• Building capacity for outstanding project management execution;
• Building and managing a team to deliver world class results, with individuals who have growth potential to contribute broadly across CFS;
• Maintain integrated SPARC schedule fidelity to achieve overall Go Live date
As such, CFS is looking for a leader with deep projects experience to be the Head of Project Management to deliver the SPARC successfully and build capability for the following generation of complex projects which the company plans to undertake.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists, engineers and business people as part collaborative, complex efforts;
- Lead a team of project controls and engineering personnel, working with leaders developing individual systems and sub-systems as part of the SPARC project to develop and track project schedules, costs and other elements of a time-phased action plan;
- Develop a system for tracking progress on schedule, cost and earned value, including forward-looking risks and opportunities;
- Use this system to report regularly on status, issues and requirements to the Chief Financial Officer, Head of SPARC Project and other CFS leaders;
- Contribute operational and strategic insights across the CFS team to ensure successful decisions around, and delivery of, SPARC and other projects; and,
- Use the SPARC project as the vehicle to institutionalize a culture with world class levels of project management in complex, tough tech efforts.
- Maintain and track cost vs budget, and maintain accurate forward looking cost forecast for each project team and for the overall SPARC project
- This position will require extended periods of time spent sitting and typing. It will also have regular exposure to cold, noise, electricity, chemicals, strong magnets and other construction-site conditions. Preferred location is CFS office in Cambridge and later Devens MA. If not located at CFS, anticipate up to 25-50% regular travel to Cambridge and Devens. Conditions may change as the position evolves.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., mechanical, electrical)
- 10+ years with a proven track record of project management experience
- Led at least one complex engineering R&D project from conception through completion
- Proven leadership and experience working across multi-disciplinary teams including engineers, leadership, and finance
- Experience identifying and implementing cost savings to build margin and avoid use of project contingency
- Experience with financial and cost analysis to perform fact-based situation assessments and develop effective action plans
- Project management professional (PMP) certification (preferred)
- Develop and maintain schedules for an Integrated Master Schedule
- Expertise in forecasting, budgeting, and tracking costs in real-time
- Accurately design, update, and forecast milestones
- Ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- Emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- Drive towards technically, operationally and commercially viable solutions
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.