Supplier Development Engineer
Corporate Operations – Supply Chain /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Senior Supplier Development Engineer role is to partner with different business units, such as design engineering, quality and procurement, to best understand which suppliers are struggling to achieve rate, hit certain quality requirements and provide consistent product.
This team member will:
- Physically be on-site at vendors for long periods of time
- Be a Change Agent - identifying gaps in processes, articulating what needs to be done to close those gaps and holding vendors accountable with concrete timelines
- Ability to inspect parts using different measurement tools and interpret inspection reports
- Design, develop required process controls and quality plans
- Facilitate the creation and execution of PFMEA processes and applicable elements of APQP
- Support ISO 9001:2015 implementation
- Support creation of manufacturing instructions to document quality critical characteristics
- Develop in-process inspection and test procedures
- Process capability studies and Measurement Systems Analysis
- Coach and collaborate with a cross-functional team of manufacturing, design, and operations engineers to establish a high-quality manufacturing line
- Drive cost reduction projects including planning, coordinating with stakeholders, estimating completion, and project updates
- Author contract documents with Legal. Manage contracts ensuring performance of the supplier to contract obligations
- Understand interrelationships between contracts and terms while applying creativity and sound business reasoning to interpret application of contract to business needs
- Establish preferred suppliers by category. Create and implement related management programs to develop, continuously improve, manage the performance of, and monitor KPIs of the supply base
- Lead and mentor team members
- Skillfully balance the price, delivery, quality, service, and value tradeoffs and rationalize the supply base
- Adhere to all supply chain policies, procedures, guidelines and instructions including those regarding the procurement of materials, intellectual property, and export compliance.
- Negotiate internally and externally at high levels or with persons of influence frequently
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7+ years experience in Supply Chain
- Experience in a start-up or high growth environment
- Experience in manufacturing environment
- Experience performing advanced technical activities such as Supplier Assessments & Audits, including Quality Management System (e.g., ISO 9001, AS 9100, IATF 16949)
- Experience performing advanced technical activities such as Product (e.g., Machining) and Special Process (e.g., Plating, Heat treat, Welding)
- Experience using specialized quality tools such PPAP (PFMEA, Control Plan, MSA) capacity analysis and Lean Six Sigma initiatives
- Ability to design, establish and implement supplier quality improvement processes and procedures.
- Ability to teach and educate others
- Exceptional communications skills
- Strong collaboration and relationship building skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks
- Works with Integrity
- Strong Customer Service skills
- Remarkable problem-solving skills
- Works well under pressure
- Possesses excellent judgment
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Masters Degree
- Magnet manufacturing
- Six Sigma Certification (Yellow, Green or Black)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.