Manufacturing Design Engineer
Cambridge, MA /
Operations Team – Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The manufacturing design engineer will be responsible for the design of thermo-mechanical structures, tooling, and automated equipment to support the multiple manufacturing lines.
This team member will:
- Design thermo-mechanical structures for superconducting magnets and cryogenic closed loop systems to support the manufacturing line and testing of HTS magnets
- Design custom tooling and production machinery/equipment and work with external vendors and job shops to deliver hardware that meets design specifications
- Design test rigs and systems to measure and ensure quality control
- Create 2D drawings, fluid schematics, and P&IDs (piping and instrumentation diagrams)
- Create performance criteria, requirements, and specifications for manufacturing, assembly, and test
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field is required
- 3+ years' experience as a hardware design engineer on complex mechanical systems. Knowledge of assembly-level thermal/mechanical design considerations is a plus
- Expertise with CAD modeling and drafting, including working knowledge of GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing). NX & Teamcenter experience is a plus
- Experience with tooling design and working with job shops
- Experience with rotating machinery, cable winding, casting, vacuum systems, and/or pipe bending preferred
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- A value for design for manufacturability, serviceability, and simplicity over complexity
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, stooping, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Withstand exposure to heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.