Scientific Data Analyst
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
HTS (high temperature superconductor) is the core material that enables our fusion magnet technology and is the largest volume product that we work with at CFS. We’re looking for a scientific data analyst to own the process, analysis, and database of acceptance testing our large inventory of HTS to be used in our superconducting magnets. You will work collaboratively with a team of manufacturing and test engineers, HTS materials experts, and scientific software engineers to transform our HTS analysis processes from R&D into production. You will also work with our test engineers and physicists to correlate analysis results from piece-part level testing to full-scale magnet testing.
This team member will:
- Analyze HTS (high temperature superconductor) test results using statistical best practices and in-house-developed scientific software
- Develop optimal statistical sampling strategies for accurate estimation of individual tape and magnet performance
- Interpret the electromagnetic performance of HTS and provide feedback to the production team and suppliers to improve testing and manufacturing processes
- Improve the existing HTS database architecture and develop a robust system for production needs
- Perform Measurement System Analysis to ensure the accuracy of testing methods, and specify standards for routine calibration and verification of measurement techniques.
- Collaborate with the HTS test team to diagnose and resolve anomalies in test results, providing insightful data analysis.
- Develop reports, graphs, and charts of datasets to communicate information to cross-functional teams
- Work collaboratively with HTS manufacturing and test engineers, HTS materials experts, and scientific software engineers to transform our analysis processes from R&D into production
- Work collaboratively with magnet test engineers and physicists to correlate analysis results from piece-part level testing to full-scale magnet testing
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, applied physics, applied mathematics, computer science, or engineering field is required
- 5+ years' experience as a data analyst in a scientific company or lab
- Experience with SPC (statistical process control) and statistical methods
- Experience working with and troubleshooting electronics and instrumentation
- Experience interpreting, visualizing, and communicating results of experiments
- Experience with creating and/or maintaining large databases of scientific information
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Ability to identify business/process improvement opportunities and communicate them to team and management
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Technical knowledge of superconductors
- Experience with electromagnets, superconductors, thin film applications, or laboratory testing is preferred
- Experience with programming in Python, C, and/or SQL
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.