CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS has a need for an Accounting Manager to lead the accounting process for our various research & development, manufacturing, and construction projects. The Accounting Manager will ensure a timely and accurate monthly close process, no two projects at CFS are the same, and each one will bring us closer to our pursuit of clean, limitless, fusion energy. The right candidate will bring best practices from previous experience in a high-growth environment to our rapidly evolving organization to help us implement a scalable environment of financial reporting built on systems, controls, and processes.
This team member will:
- Work directly with corporate controller to manage all accounting functions. Initially, this includes direct responsibility for accounts payable and credit card expense reports, and shortly thereafter this person will hire and manage our accounts payable clerk.
- Perform and/or review key steps in monthly close process including recording of journal entries and preparation of balance sheet reconciliations.
- Lead project accounting initiatives for research & development, manufacturing, and construction projects from initiation through close.
- Implement best practices and help us to establish accounting procedures and assist with ERP implementation.
- Review payroll prior to Controller approval.
- Support our financial planning & analysis and project management functions to investigate variances and inform our financial forecast.
- Establish and maintain accounting policies and procedures and ensure compliance with U.S. GAAP, grants, etc. This person will coordinate financial compliance efforts for Department of Energy grants.
- Support the annual audit.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 5+ years of experience accounting for complex capital or R&D projects in a growing organization
- Understand project accounting best practices, with experience implementing new processes and systems
- ERP software experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business preferred
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and organized
- A problem solver
- Demonstrated management experience (direct reports or coordinating a special project)
- An excellent communicator, both written and verbal. Able to efficiently coordinate our stakeholders around financial information in a way that enables, rather than hinders, progress
- Be comfortable in a dynamic environment a rapid pace of growth and change, self-directed prioritization, and the ability to wear multiple “hats” on a daily basis
- Passionate about our clean energy future
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.