Mechanical Engineer - Large Welded Structures
SPARC Team – Tokamak Systems /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As a Mechanical Engineer for the SPARC Cryostat and Thermal Shields, you will develop optimized structural design to fit the form and function, meet the requirements, and passes the thermal and structural analysis using your analytical skills and capability to set up models and perform full analysis in ANSYS.
As we grow, we add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
This team member will:
- Use knowledge of welding medium to large stainless-steel components for efficient joining of the components to support a reliable, geometrically precise and economically viable structure
- Use knowledge of vacuum application in areas of standard sealing, vacuum side welding, and surface preparation/cleanliness for vacuum applications will be vital in proper detailing of the fabrication process requirements
- Design and development of the large structures under vacuum and cryogenic temperatures
- Offer insight and creative ideas in designs that are capable to meet the basic requirement, are simple and robust, with cost of manufacturing and lead time in mind
- Develop design notes, technical specifications, assembly procedures and documentation necessary to fabricate and install the SPARC Cryostat and Thermal shields
- Support procurement in the preparation and execution of the manufacturing contracts
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or above
- 5+ years' of engineering design and analysis experience
- Experience in design and development of the large structures under vacuum and cryogenic temperatures
- Is familiar with metallic structures and weldments including machining and other forming processes
- Has experience modeling in NX, or similar CAD software; prior experience in development of drawings and GD+T
- Work with procurement and interface with fabricators; familiar with use of fasteners and analysis of bolted joints; well developed skills in use of Ansys
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience in design of equipment in vacuum and cryogenic temperatures
- Specialty hardware
- Familiarity with Fusion engineering
- Nuclear engineering degree or courses
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.