Milpitas, CA /
R&D Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
A new class of high-field superconducting magnets will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add an Equipment Technician to our growing team in Milpitas, CA. This CFS Equipment Technician will report to the Head of Superconductor R&D and will be responsible for aspects of the construction, implementation, and maintenance of advanced R&D equipment.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Own assembly and maintenance of key systems and sub-systems
- Work closely with suppliers during system integration and testing of equipment
- Maintain engineering lab and be responsible for lab safety and protocol compliance
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of Superconductor R&D
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- The ability to conceive novel solutions to challenging problems
- Familiarity with engineering systems in challenging environments
- 5+ years of experience involving construction, operation and maintenance of industrial, large-scale R&D and manufacturing equipment
- 5+ years of experience with mechanical assembly and maintenance of UHV and/or HV systems, including:
- the functional understanding of basic vacuum technology concepts,
- the thorough knowledge of cleaning processes for components used in vacuum systems,
- the ability to helium leak check systems and components,
- the ability to refurbish scroll pumps, cryopumps, and/or turbomolecular pumps
- 5+ years of experience with low- and high-voltage electrical and/or instrumentation assembly, including:
- the ability to assembly cable harnesses with crimp and/or solder pins,
- the ability to troubleshoot and/or repair electrical issues,
- the functional understanding of bench instrumentation and lab testing experience using common test equipment (Oscilloscope, DMM, etc.),
- basic understanding of national electrical codes (required)
- excellent attention to safety in line with OSHA requirements and LOTO procedures
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Knowledge of electrical and plumbing codes and maintenance requirements, (documentation, safety, required reporting, regulations, etc.)
- Knowledge of OSHA worksite and personal safety requirements
- Knowledge of State or local governmental safety requirements
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.