Cambridge, MA /
Manufacturing Team /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
CFS is seeking a proven, hands-on Quality Manager to proactively design, build, and lead the quality strategy and function across our organization. You will have the unique opportunity and responsibility to develop our Quality Management System and Quality Department from the ground up. To be successful, this person will be a driven, hands-on, self-motivated leader who can create a system, organization, and culture that is agile and successful across multiple functions.
This team member will:
- Hire, manage, and mentor a team of quality engineers and inspectors
- Author and implement the company’s Quality Management System
- Work collaboratively with systems engineering, manufacturing, and supply chain to establish quality processes and procedures that span across the whole organization
- Own all Quality Assurance non-destructive testing, incoming inspection, Material Review Board (MRB), internal process controls, and calibration. Maintain all required documentation for compliance
- Implement tools such as Six Sigma, Root Cause and Corrective Actions, FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis), and SPC (statistical process control) to set up a reliable, low defect manufacturing line
- Train the organization to ensure mission reliability and compliance to technical and regulatory requirements
- Serve as the primary contact person for external regulatory bodies and accreditation organizations for audits, surveys, and other inquiries; oversees documentation, reporting, and closure of compliance issues
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree is required, technical degree is preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in a complex manufacturing company with a quality assurance organization certified to ISO9001, AS9100C, TS16949, or similar program
- 5+ years’ experience in people management & leadership roles with a strong focus on team building and employee development
- Significant experience with ISO9001 implementation and certification
- Experience working with emerging technology in an R&D into production environment
- Experience with the fabrication and quality inspection of highly-toleranced parts and complex integrated systems including large metallic structures, electrical or magnetic subsystems, machining, and welding
- Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt or equivalent experience
- ASQ/CQE/CQM certification preferred
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of quality tools including FMEA, Root Cause, 8D, and SPC
- Knowledge of NDE (non-destructive evaluation) methods including dye penetrant, ultrasonic, computerized tomography, and x-ray
- Strong written documentation skills including writing reports, procedures, and manuals
- Strong leadership and project management skills working across a cross-functional team
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent problem-solving skills
- A can-do attitude and an eagerness to learn
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.