Senior Industrial Engineer
Devens, MA /
Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This individual will be responsible for process and systems development as we grow our operations from research & development to full-scale production. They also will be responsible for streamlining manufacturing and quality operations and creating the procedures, templates, and training to support these teams.
This team member will:
- Develop systems and processes to grow and scale our manufacturing and quality operations from R&D to full-scale production
- Create the processes, procedures, and templates to build out the manufacturing and quality “toolbox” for areas such as capital equipment purchases, factory/site acceptance testing, quality inspection, value stream mapping, and statistical process control
- Lead process development for ERP (enterprise resource planning) integration for systems such as nonconformance management, configuration control, asset management, and manufacturing work instructions
- Author and facilitate training for the operations team on topics including Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis), and DFM (design for manufacturability)
- Support factory simulation modeling and build out of the future manufacturing facility
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional team of designers, manufacturing engineers, technicians, quality specialists, and supply chain specialists to brainstorm and innovate on efficient operations for the company
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these experiences and skills:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field
- 7+ years' experience as an operations, manufacturing, quality, or industrial/lean engineer in a production environment
- Experience developing processes and procedures to transition from R&D into production
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver projects within specified timelines and budgets
- Experience with the application of Lean Six Sigma methodologies
- Experience with ERP (enterprise resource planning) process development and implementation
- Strong drive for continuous improvement and operational efficiency
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, and strong magnets
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.