Strategic Sourcing Specialist
Cambridge, MA /
Operations Team /
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The Strategic Sourcing Specialist’s role is to partner with the business to support the company’s long-term manufacturing objectives through contract negotiations, risk mitigation and meeting schedule.
This team member will:
- Conduct advanced quantitative analysis to identify financial impacts of decisions and performance for category managed. Perform business process analysis and develop models to improve cost. Collaborate with stakeholders to define SLA's and KPI's for suppliers and measure the appropriate criteria, such as: delivery of business results, cost reduction, quality and timeliness of delivery. Conduct research, perform benchmarking, and gather market analysis for assigned categories.
- Drive cost reduction projects including planning, coordinating with stakeholders, estimating completion, and project updates.
- Author contract documents with the Legal Department. Management of contracts ensuring performance of the supplier to contract obligations. Understand interrelationships between contracts and terms while applying creativity and sound business reasoning to interpret application of contract to business needs.
- Utilize creative negotiations to maximize value and cost savings benefit while lowering risk.
- To establish preferred suppliers by category. Create and implement related management programs to develop, continuously improve, manage the performance of, and monitor KPIs of the supply base.
- To develop and maintain key internal stakeholder relationships to create strategic sourcing models that optimize the value of products and services that support business unit requirement to maintain continuous cost reduction programs for controllable expenditures. Communicate, manage, and drive compliance to category strategies. Provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- To create sourcing strategies for assigned category to reduce risk and meet targets for the Purchasing Department including but not limited to payment terms, cash targets, and cost savings.
- Place purchase orders and resolve blocked invoices related to assigned category. Perform assignments independently with instruction limited to results expected.
- Develop and lead efforts to reduce number of transactions and for assigned category.
- Skillfully balance the price, delivery, quality, service, and value tradeoffs and rationalize the supply base
- Adhere to all supply chain policies, procedures, guidelines and instructions including those regarding the procurement of materials, intellectual property, and export compliance.
- Negotiate internally and externally at high levels or with persons of influence frequently.
- Be a technical procurement expert
- Be adept at prioritizing and executing tasks while working under pressure and in some cases, tight deadlines
- Have a blend of technical, business experience with a background in manufacturing environment
- Possess excellent judgement and the ability to make and execute on decisions for the holistic betterment of the company
- Demonstrate integrity, respect, commitment to excellence, collaboration, creativity, and agility
- Have a strong customer service and entrepreneurial orientation
- Be a strong collaborator, able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal management oversight
- Communicate exceptionally, both written and verbal, and have experience in presenting complex ideas to executive level audiences
- Have strong relationship building skills, and ability to interact and work effectively with all levels of personnel and influence key stakeholders in order to get things done and set proper expectations
- Take ownership and assignments of projects from beginning to end and be capable of self-checking work produced for completeness and accuracy
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Supply Chain, Engineering, Business, Finance or related field
- 3+ years’ buying or sourcing across many indirect categories
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- General understanding of ERP systems and MRP
- Certifications: A.P.P., C.P.M., CPSM, CSCP, CPIM
- Previous experience in a start-up or high growth environment
- Experience with financial control systems or cost accounting structures
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.