Corporate Operations – Operations - Manufacturing /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Are you ready to be at the forefront of innovation, driving the design and development of cutting-edge automated equipment? We're seeking a passionate Electrical Engineer to play a pivotal role in revolutionizing our manufacturing processes.
As a key member of our Production Architecture team, you'll dive into the heart of designing, developing, and commissioning state-of-the-art automated equipment. Your expertise will extend to developing processes for Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT) and ensuring stringent electrical standard compliance within our facilities. Additionally, you'll collaborate within a dynamic, cross-functional team to craft, test, validate, and seamlessly implement process enhancements. Your contributions will shape and enforce electrical standards, driving transformative changes across our organization.
Joining our team means embracing innovation, pushing boundaries, challenging assumptions, and having a real impact on the future of production for fusion power plants. You'll work alongside passionate experts, unlocking opportunities for professional growth and leaving your mark on groundbreaking projects.
This team member will:
- Spearhead the conceptual development of equipment, expertly balancing product specifications, process control needs, and cost considerations for optimal outcomes
- Be the driving force behind the design, modification, and approval of electrical schematics, ensuring compliance with industry-leading standards like NFPA79, NEC, and UL508A
- Implement robust and reliable safety systems, safeguarding high-volume manufacturing equipment with compliance to ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA standards
- Lead the charge in crafting comprehensive specifications and standards, guiding vendors, and evaluating technical quotes to maintain excellence in our operations
- Take charge of the validation and deployment of cutting-edge automated process equipment, ensuring seamless integration into production
- Develop and refine processes for Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), ensuring meticulous testing procedures are in place for equipment readiness
- Uphold and enforce electrical standards compliance within our facilities, ensuring a safe and efficient working environment
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Engineering degree or 6+ years of equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering, industrial machinery design, industrial electrical systems or automated equipment design
- 5+ years' experience working in Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronic Engineering or Computer Science Fields
- Experience with control system architecture
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems
- In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric code, UL508A)
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems
- Proficiency creating detailed electrical schematics in EPLAN or AutoCAD
- Industrial electrical hands-on experience and troubleshooting, including 480V 3-phase, 110 VAC, and 24VDC systems
- Experience with installing and maintaining many types of software and hardware
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- A value for design for manufacturability, serviceability, and simplicity over complexity
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience working with Beckhoff or Siemens controls platforms
- Experience with Automated equipment integration and programming
- Experience in Ignition SCADA systems
- Experience with Industrial Networks
- Experience with Arc Flash calculations for electrical panels
- Greenfield or brownfield startup commissioning experience.
- Experience with Automated equipment
- Experience implementing Functional safety of safety-related control systems (IEC 62061:2021 or ISO 13849-1)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.