NX Drafter/Designer - Contract
Cambridge, MA /
SPARC – Tokamak /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
This CFS SPARC NX Drafter/Designer will report to the Head of 3D CAD Integration and will assist the engineering team by providing NX CAD drafting and design support to create/revise drawings for new/legacy custom parts, designing and/or modifying new/legacy custom components in NX and Teamcenter, and by reviewing dimensions and tolerances on drawings to ensure their suitability for the intended production process. The candidate will be a team player, collaborate with engineering teams, and have a strong sense of responsibility and commitment towards producing accurate drawings.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Provide CAD design/drafting support using NX and Teamcenter
- Estimate time required to complete support activities
- Communicate with engineering teams to review drawing changes to suit manufacturing process capabilities
- Communicate designs and design changes with SPARC engineering team.
- Assist in creating engineering BOMs on drawings and Teamcenter
- Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of field and manufacturing issues via drawing changes
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of 3D CAD Integration
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Associates degree in Mechanical and/or Industrial engineering required
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in creating drawings for mechanical parts using NX CAD systems
- Experience creating assembly drawings of mechanisms and drawing BOMs
- Experience with drawing reviews/checking
- Understand dimensional tolerance capabilities of castings, machine parts, and sheet metal components.
- Proven experience in a fast paced, high transaction environment
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms in Seimans NX
- Proficiency using Team Center
- Knowledge of component finishing processes such as electro-polishing, plating, heat treatment, paint/powder coating)
- Candidate will have the technical depth and proven experience to create and review drawings to ASME Y14.100 and ASME Y14.5 standards.
- Candidate will demonstrate knowledge of GD&T and the use of CAD tools to create/refine designs and drawings for assemblies and custom parts made of sheet metal, weldments, castings, electrical cables/components, and machined parts
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.