Facilities & Space Planner Manager
Corporate Operations – Operations - Facilities & Construction /
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Facilities and Space Planner Manager works with department leaders to determine space needs, furnishings, and infrastructure required for operations; sources and identifies appropriate spaces; and facilitates the transition to those spaces. These responsibilities include our Devens campus, our Somerville location, along with other temporary or transitional spaces as required.
This team member will:
- Support department leaders with floor plans needed for moves and occupancy planning
- Work with site supervisors to manage and solve space requests
- Drive schedule for data collection, compilation, and analysis of existing space plans and occupancy
- Collaborate with Design and Construction teams on active projects
- Create and maintain employee maps, spreadsheets, and Indoor Finder system
- Provide test fits and furniture layouts and assist with furniture, finish, and fixture selections
- Develop and execute move plans for personnel and equipment with other support departments. Manage office furniture purchases and installations at all CFS facilities
- Coordinate with internal clients, third parties, IT, and facility leaders, and facilitate the decision-making, approval, and communication process to end users
- Prepare and execute logistical plans for moves, including accurate and detailed project budgets and expense tracking
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in facilities management, architectural design, interior design, or similar preferred
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate with extensive experience considered
- Minimum 3 years’ Space Planning experience in a fast paced, rapidly changing/growing company
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of Space Management
- Basic knowledge of building codes; knowledge of related state and federal regulations and statutes
- Demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical and electrical drawings, manuals, and reports
- Proficiency with MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to take directions from supervisors and work independently
- Desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment with daily changes
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- Ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with lean manufacturing principles and 5S
- Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to manage work requests
- Knowledge of applicable NADA, NFPA, NEC, etc. standards and codes
- Perform activities such as typing, stooping, climbing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.